Tli rsm 500

DaddyTLi

Ahhhh bummer, I drilled two siphon holes on the 3/4 barb x 1/2 thread, and I have a "fountain" effect. The hole was on the top and now water is spitting water upward.

Where should the proper place for the siphon holes?

Tom

DaddyTLi

Cool, it's good to have varied clean up crew. Get some pictures up soon Tom. Lol
Peppers will eat pellets mate, mine do now the aips have been consumed
Alan

My iphone acted up during the latest update. I am trying to restore. After that's done. I'll get some shots up.

Tom

DaddyTLi

Siphon hole issue.
IMG_0498_zps1079239e.jpg

IMG_0500_zps909bfce3.jpg

Where should these holes be drilled? I hope I can take out the old 3/4 x 1/2 that I pushed in.

Tom

DaddyTLi

My heart is heavy. My daughter just text me that the hermits are feasting on the Lettuce Sea Slug. The hermit seems to be the worst in my tank. Two electric blue ate a snail each to take the snail's home.

sadden,

Tom

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry for your bad news. :(
I knew from the beginning that I didn't want any crabs in my tank. If I could catch the coal banded shrimp out of my tank, he'd not be in there either. Something about CLAWS worries me :(

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Snails and crabs unfortunately. I have Mexican crabs and they stay tiny so the snails dwarf them, that way there's never any issue of them wanting to upgrade home :)

Alan

DaddyTLi

A quick update. My daughter is 10; and is not the sea slug that was being eaten, it was a big old turbo that have not moved for a while. In my smaller tank. the old turbo stay still for a few days and then starts moving. But I guess these hermit did not give it a chance.

Good news, the Chiller (JbJ 1/3)is in. My son could not lift it!! I'll be home in a couple of days to move it out of the door way. I did not know it will be that heavy. The ups guy used a hand truck.

I purchased 2 more 3/4 barb x 1/2 thread to try some more drilling of siphon holes. I learn the hard way, it should not be on the top. I will try the bottom of elbow and the barb side of elbow. Unless someone knows a better position. I don't want to drill any part of the original equipment just the 3/4 x 1/2.

Tom

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Either side mate, drill two in case one gets blocked. You don't want soggy feet if the power fails and the hole was blocked by a snail at the time.

Alan

Nob35

Also Try to drill at a angle against the flow so it does not catch the water and make it divert to that hole. I have mine on the top as yours but I have the nozzle as far down as it will go so it is deep enough not to cause a fountain.

DaddyTLi

Detritus, algae, etc.
Just gunk that builds up over time. You should regularly sift the sand to stir it up. Not only does it keep the sand looking cleaner but the detritus feeds corals.

I would think stirring the bottom will cause Nitrate to go up, no?

Tom

Yes they are definitely bigger. Beautiful crabs but we had to get rid of ours. He knocked everything over. He would pull up corals that are super glued down. We hated it.

Matt

DaddyTLi

Yes they are definitely bigger. Beautiful crabs but we had to get rid of ours. He knocked everything over. He would pull up corals that are super glued down. We hated it.

Matt

Maybe I am a bit harsh on them. I have 3. One is still in its orginal shell and seems to behave. The other two with my snail shell, I moved them down to the sump refugium. Last water change, I found them on my sponges. I had chaeto in the refugium so I thought they will be ok picking on it. But no, they were at the sponge. I did not really notice them. I was taking out the sponge to rinse and felt one of them, pull it out (he was holding on) and ops. I got the shell, no hermit. The next one was in tack. so I put the shell under the skimmer and made sure he is not on the sponge and hope he will find his "home".

Tom

DaddyTLi

A quick update. Purchased some inexpensive supplies. Marineland light for sump, loc-line for sump return, and eheim tubing for chiller. Pics to come.

Tom

LegalReefer

How are you gonna get that LOC-LINE to work I ordered both sizes from BRS only to figure out that it is metric system and loc-line will not work on the return. Are you using some sort of Mod to make it fit?

DaddyTLi

How are you gonna get that LOC-LINE to work I ordered both sizes from BRS only to figure out that it is metric system and loc-line will not work on the return. Are you using some sort of Mod to make it fit?

I'm using a 3/4 barb x 1/2 npt female (pic on one of my previous post) I purchased from Home Depot. I am able to push two full barb deep on the return. Make sure you take off the outer most nut to push in tight. The nut should come off hand loosening.

I purchased the male thread loc-line, use Teflon tape. I also purchased a loc-line check valve. I think the flow has some restriction, since it is not full open.

Still playing with configuration. I have skimmer and chiller flow open and I am not getting the pressure I want on the return.

Tom