Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

SeaSiren

Hi Doni

I just wanted to ask the three picasso's I purchaced from you in January have been residing with each other in the same tank for the last 6 months but, now the largre of the two is chasing the other two all over the tank almost to the point that if I didn't cover the tank the other two would jump....I suspect they are all about 10 months old now...is this behavior normal for picasso's especially since they have been together this entire time? I have always kept them in pairs but it seems this trio isn't working out...I have tried just keeping two of them together and one in a breeder net but it doesn't matter the larger one just seems to want neither one of them around...so I have isolated her and the other two seem to be okay together any suggestions...my other pairs never chased one another to the point of wanting to jump to get away....

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hi Doni

I just wanted to ask the three picasso's I purchaced from you in January have been residing with each other in the same tank for the last 6 months but, now the largre of the two is chasing the other two all over the tank almost to the point that if I didn't cover the tank the other two would jump....I suspect they are all about 10 months old now...is this behavior normal for picasso's especially since they have been together this entire time? I have always kept them in pairs but it seems this trio isn't working out...I have tried just keeping two of them together and one in a breeder net but it doesn't matter the larger one just seems to want neither one of them around...so I have isolated her and the other two seem to be okay together any suggestions...my other pairs never chased one another to the point of wanting to jump to get away....

It sounds like they are all males. In respect to percula clownfish, I have found that juveniles are tolerant of other juveniles, females are tolerant of males/juveniles; and males will chase other males. It is normal for the most dominate to push/chase the other around during the male-female transition so make sure there is plenty of room for the weaker fish to escape the harassment. You could separate them until the larger has completed the female morphing and then she will accept a male/juvenile.

SeaSiren

Thanks Doni that would make sense....like I said I have never had a trio of perculas just Occ. and they seem to be more tolerant by nature....its funny the larger one was being very isolated for awhile and then all of a sudden she or He came out charging at the other two I have the larger one in a breeder net for the time being she/he was beating up to bad on the other two which are the same size...so I am hoping when i let he/she go again she wont be to bad but the other two do have a place to get away from this one its just funny how the smaller two get along pretty well....but the larger one is very angry and none of them shimmys or relents. Hopefully they will work this out soon!

SeaSiren

30 gallons clowfishfan....the picasso's are in a 30 gallon at the moment! i am waiting for them to pair off so I can move them to seperate tanks or to my breeder setup....Like I said I have always purchaced fish in couples and they go through the motions and determine who is who...but in this case with 3 I haven't experienced this behavior...but, I want to get another for the lone fish i figure maybe that will be helpful and moving them into seperate tanks but like Doni says I will wait until the female changes into a female!

SeahorseBT

Hey Doni, just wanted to update you on my babies (your grandchildren). You were right, even with one of them being a regular perc, I still got a very large number of picassos!
tanks031-2.jpg

sgild001

ok doni, so i really have no significant knowledge about this and as i'm sure you can tell very new to this site, however what you are doing is amazing i can't believe the color you get from your hatches it is quite impressive. If i may ask how long have you been reefing?
steve

Woodstock

RS STAFF
ok doni, so i really have no significant knowledge about this and as i'm sure you can tell very new to this site, however what you are doing is amazing i can't believe the color you get from your hatches it is quite impressive. If i may ask how long have you been reefing?
steve

Thank you for the kind words Steve :) I've been reefing for over 21 years... yikes.... I'm getting old. LOL! I had a 100+ gallon saltwater tank before my youngest daughter was born... she is over 21 now!

sgild001

that is extraordinary, you seem to be the guy who knows clown fish on here, and my question is what kind of anemone will be hosted by 2 tr percula clowns most readily.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
that is extraordinary, you seem to be the guy who knows clown fish on here, and my question is what kind of anemone will be hosted by 2 tr percula clowns most readily.

IME, perculas are attracted to quadricolor (BTA), magnifica (riterri), and carpets (haddoni & gigantea). My favorite anemone for them is BTA because they are sustainable and hardy.

sgild001

awesome ty very much =) i got 2 nice looking clowns yesterday, and they seems to be doing quite well. It is so awesome to the way different fish interact with everyone. like a little party in there its pretty sweet.
thank you again i have learned a lot already just from reading this thread. i hope to continue to grow in this field to be half your skill one day thank you sir =)

sgild001

wow im really sorry doni, i didn't pay attention =/ but thank you very much for the awesome info my clowns seems to be doing excellently, and they seem to be thinking about mating =) so excited
very pretty couple

Do you know if peppermint or pistol shrimp can stop a clown from spawning ? I was looking into getting a pistol shrimp but would like to know first.