Playa's Reef

Playa

Maxx it looks awesome!

Do the lights have some sort of way to be adjusted to be have an upward and downward motion?

What kind of wood are you thinking you will be using in the building of the structure?

Luis

It's very pleasant to see this thread where is supposed to be at!This is a educational,informative and friendly site!I'm thankful for all the support that Mods and members have done to keep this thread indestructible!And to you my amigo Luis keep the good work and hold your head up high 'cause you have done nothing wrong!
Now going back to business,What do you think of the way I have my lights hanging off the walls(you had seen the tank)can you do the same?

VINA

Maxx

Originally posted by Playa

Do the lights have some sort of way to be adjusted to be have an upward and downward motion?

What kind of wood are you thinking you will be using in the building of the structure?

Luis

Luis,
The concept was stolen from Mutagen who was in "Ultimate Reef Aquariums", by Mike Paletta, and also RC's TOTM a year or so back. I did email him and ask him about his design, and got his permission to use it.
Basically the lighting will be able to be adjusted upwards or downwards by a handcrank as shown in the first image I posted.
The hand crank will be locked into position by a cotter pin, which will keep it from rotating when its in postion. The idea is to be able to raise and lower the lighting, (if necessary) for acclimation or bulb change, and minimize the heat transfer normally associated w/ MH lighting.
As far as wood goes, I've been able to buy show grade lumber from either Lowes or Home Depot for the framework/skeleton of the stand, and the skin (pretty outer part everyone can see) is Birch plywood purchased from either Lowes or HD, (both have it), which is stained to the color that I preferred.
I dont have a strong DIY background, (dad was the guy who almost blew up the house playing w/ the furnace one day....), but I was able to understand the idea behind it in order to make this happen. In all honesty, some one like Troy(Pro-builder) or Dave, (WoodDood), or the other Dave, (Reef Addict) would be able to give you a heads up on how to make this very pretty, not that mine is gonna be ugly or anything...but still.
I was amazed at how easy this is........you do need the right tools though.
Nick

addict

I believe he's working about 1000 miles away from home, so he hasn't been around the reef for about 4 months now... I'm sure we'll get a huge update once he's back in the saddle. :D

Hopefully stuff will be grown out enough to frag... and I'm first in line! No cutting! LOL :D

Playa

Hey Nick thanks a lot for the info, I was hoping to let Eric help me get something accomplished during the summer while up here in Jersey, but he and others advice me to better wait until I get back down to Florida.

"What happened to playa's reef?"
Thanks for asking ocporkpie, it is doing well. There are still a few months left of hurricane season, so I am not out of the woods yet. Hurricane season is always a concern of mine. From what I hear from Eric and Adam, the reef is thriving. Frags and colonies are encrusting, growing and coloring. I changed bulbs before I left. As long as I can afford it I will try to change bulbs every 5 months so I can keep the par as consistent as possible.

David and Brian I hope by October I will have some growth enough to start considering some pruning. That would be nice :)
Please email me at playabrisa@yahoo.com and mention what specific corals you might be interested in.

It really stinks not being able to see the reef during so many months, but from experience I find it so extremely rewarding to see it after 6 months of growth. I have not lost a fish since I left Florida. I still have a Snowflake and maybe one other Angel to be added to the reef.

Brian how are you coming along with your new reef?

This is a frag of a Red acropora like I never seen before. So I am vary curious as to how much growth and color I will find when I get back. I got this frag from my friend Joe in Palm beach who has one of the most beautiful reefs on earth. His colony of this coral is incredible. A red rasberry with beautiful growth patterns.

Playa

This is the Blue Tortuosa from Chicago, traced to S. Tyree in the mid 90's(trying to remember the fellow's name I got it from and to no avail) This guy has some of the most awesome species of corals I know. So I guess this is a grandchild from the original California tort.

Looking forward to see how it has evolutioned:)

dgasmd

Playa:

I was begining to think you got shot in Jersey LOL......
We are having the first meeting of PBMAS (Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society) August 7th. Hope you join and get involved when you make it down here. Pass the word to anyone you may know that is a reefer down here. Plus, you are going to have to hook me up with Joe when you come back down.

Playa

Another super cool acropora frag that I cant wait to see. I got this frag from Adam(knows his **** about SPS) in palm Beach. I never got to see his colony, although he said it was awesome.
The Mycedium with steel blue eyes is the coral in the background.

Playa

Hey Alberto was up?:)
Everyone knows Joe down there, I am surprised you have not met him yet. He recently set up a cube larger than 200 gallons, cant wait to see it when I get back.

Alberto I have never been a part of any aquarium society, so I look forward to learn about it from you. I will still be here in August but best of luck anyway:)

Here is a frag that I got from Chris. I have no clue as to what it is. It was a head and a half when I got it as you can see(his mini colony had 10 heads or so if I recall well). It has such a cool neon orange center. I hope it survived and thrived. I glued it half in the water column and at a place where it gets intermitent medium water flow.

Playa

Another frag that will please the eye when I get back, hopefully:)

This is the ORA Blue Tortuosa that most SOP reefers now own. I got this one from my buddy Bryan at the Logical reef.

sharks

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Playa

David and Brian I hope by October I will have some growth enough to start considering some pruning. That would be nice :)
Please email me at playabrisa@yahoo.com and mention what specific corals you might be interested in.

There are just tooooo many to pick from! :explode:

I'll take 1 of each ;)
S

addict

Lookin' mighty fine there matey. :D

I think you already know the main coral I'm interested in... the suharsonoi...
Though I may have to look over your tank pix to see what else I might want... ah heck, just send me one of everything... LOL! :D

Hope everything is going well for you in Jersey... bet you can't wait to get back home. :)

Playa

LOL sharks:) I have well over 100 species in the reef. You would have to back up the truck bro.
Brian so how is yer reef doing?

Here is a frag of one of my 3 acropora Subglabras, one of my favorites. The growth pattern on this acropora is so cool and probably the most fragil acropora I know(as far as bone structure).

I got this species from Glenn and Todd at Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ. It took a whole summer of begging last year:)

Last edited: