Octoman's 55 gallons of euphoria

Octoman

Good news, Daisy has no spots today!! Bad news, I know that doesn't mean its gone...

I've set up my QTs and all I'm waiting for now is to store up enough water to get me going on water changes. I'll start them off with water from the DT and I'm going to treat with Hypo-salinity. Hopefully, this will all be over in about 8 weeks.

Octoman

I removed the fish and began the QT tanks, however, I have things that have come up that will require me to leave town and I won't be able to perform the monitoring and water changes that are necessary. So, I've decided to put the fish back in the DT for now and hold off on QT for a couple months until I can dedicate 8 weeks to it. I know I might get some flack for this, but I just can't put my life on hold for 8 weeks right now and I don't trust anyone else to keep them alive while I'm gone. This will also give me time to properly cycle the QTs before putting the fish back in. I know copper and hypo can kill off the bacteria, but I think it would help to at least start with a proper biofilter.

I am going to research and may try something else in the DT for now. I understand there are myths and the only proven methods involve the fallow period, but something else might at least help keep it at bay for now. I will also be maintaining the best water quality and feeding vitamin enriched foods. If any fish get infested badly, I will remove them, treat them individually, and find them a new home.

Octoman

Some good news today, I got a macro lens. I'm still getting used to it, but here are a few new pictures...

Acandy...
acan-2.jpg

Purple mille starting to turn more purple...
mille-2.jpg

Xenia doing its thing...
xenia-7.jpg

Octoman

And this one deserves its own post. This was one of the frags I got from a buddy a few months ago. I didn't think this one had a chance because it was just a tiny hunk of flesh on a big skeleton, but it has made quite a come back!

Here's the little hydnophora when I got it...
DSC_2461.jpg

And here it is today...
hydno.jpg

Octoman

Thanks Blake!! I had it mounted where I couldn't see it too well for a while. But I rearranged the tank last week and I was amazed at how big it had gotten!

Octoman

Thanks Brenda! :whstlr:

Pleco, I don't think it's a blue. My lights have a lot a blue in them, so I think it makes it look more blue, they are more pink under daylight bulbs.

sambrinar

Mark does the Xenia pulse?? If not that is what my blue looks like, has a light blue/purple tint, but does not pulse

hma

Wow Mark , I am jealous ... nice Arcan you have .... but which kind of Hydnopora shall be this? It could be a Hydnophora microconos, is this right?

Octoman

The xenia does pulse and it grows fast, very weedlike! I have to chop it back pretty regularly.

Thanks Heinz! I'm not sure on the species of the hydno. All I know is it came from Aiken, South Carolina. It does look like its encrusting...

Thanks for looking Sandy!

Octoman

Been a while since I've updated this thread, so here's what's going on these days...

I have reduced my fish population - currently it includes:

- Lawnmower Blenny
- Longnose Hawk
- Mandarin Goby
- Watchman Goby

Corals are all doing well except the leather bleached over time after I upgraded the lights. But, it has been getting its color back over the past few weeks.

And of course, what would an update be without at least a couple pictures...

FTS...
FTS-15.jpg

Tank left...
Left.jpg

Tank right...
right.jpg