Octoman's 55 gallons of euphoria

Octoman

Here goes...

I started out with two empty 55 gallon tanks. I drilled one for an overflow and I wanted to use the other one for the sump. But how do you fit a sump that big in the stand? Build your own!

You can read the whole tank build here...
55 Construction

tankbuild009.jpg

And the finished product...
tankbuild049.jpg

Octoman

Got the tank filled with water and ready to go. Time to get the first part of my package from TBS. I ran out of funds at the end and wound up getting the 20 gallon package with 55 pounds of live sand...

fishtank003.jpg

fishtank011.jpg

Octoman

Cycled in no time flat, actually, the ammonia never went above 0.5. So about a week later, time for part 2!

Tankpictures039.jpg

Octoman

Before I go any further, here are the current specs...

Lighting - Coralvue T5 retrofit 2 x 54w with individual reflectors.

Skimmer - Similar to Catalina Aquarium Super 1002 - rated for 200g
- It's really just a scaled down version using the same parts, but they claim they don't make it
- currently running on a maxijet powerhead with an airline tube stuck in the intake, works but a little loud, looking to replace this...

Sump has space for skimmer, return pump, and refugium (see build blog)

Two maxijet powerheads with Hydors for circulation in tank

Durso standpipes in overflow, they work great!

Cheap DIY autotopoff - two electric float valves (one for redundancy) and an aqualifter ($10) dosing pump. Works great so far!

Octoman

The Usual Suspects...

Sherman..
sherman2.jpg

Cher... (Sonny is camera shy)
reef037.jpg

Shrek... (A face only a mother could love)
Tankpictures2018.jpg

Daisy...
Tankpictures2003.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well done! I think the rock anem's are really under rated, mine is about 6'' across and is very well behaved.Steve

Octoman

Last one for tonight, FTS - (two weeks old), the camera batteries are dead right now. :( I'll update with some current photos this weekend!

Sorry about the yellow blur!!
Tankpictures2006.jpg

Octoman

Well done! I think the rock anem's are really under rated, mine is about 6'' across and is very well behaved.Steve

Thanks Steve! I love mine and he's well behaved, I've seen the coral banded shrimp walk right across him. Seems like the shrimp does it just to mess with him!

Octoman

Thanks everyone! I made a major change today, I had a monster 200W dolphin submersible pump for a return, I got it cheap when I was setting up my tank and thought, can't hurt to be too big, right? My temp was staying around 83-84 with a cooling fan on the sump... :smack:
Today I put a new return pump on, a Quiet One 4000 at 50W instead of 200... Working just fine so far and the temp has already dropped 2 degrees in just a few hours. :bouncer:

Aren't rock anemenomes like the same as that bad stuff (forgetting the name right now...) or is it different?

I think your talking about the glass anemones (probably called rock anemones too by some, that's the problem with common names) aka. Aptasia. None of those in there yet, thank goodness!

OK, one more pic, but this is the last one tonight! I've got to do some house cleaning!

Somebody left their clothes lying on the floor...
Tankpictures2021.jpg