Note to Self!

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I had a horrible HA outbreak when my tank was about 6 months old, it literally covered everything. I ran GFO, hard core water changes and after 6 weeks all of it was gone never to return, well very little of it returned.

Brandon78

I had a horrible HA outbreak when my tank was about 6 months old, it literally covered everything. I ran GFO, hard core water changes and after 6 weeks all of it was gone never to return, well very little of it returned.

I didnt have HA, but I had a bloom in my water, literally turned my tank swamp green for about a month and a half, you can see it in my signature thread. I couldn't even see the rock in my tank it was so dark somedays. Ran carbon, and did the hard core water changes Robs talking about. Took forever but its as clear as can be now. Nothing beats hard core/frequent water changes IMO.

BLADEYAMAHA

I just changed out my di resin when my water hit 1ppm outbound. All my stuff is reading zero.

Is all your rock 10 year old? Or just the seed rock? What is your other tock?

Nitrates have to building up somewhere or phosphate leeching from your rock.

Curious why ha is a problem for corals anyway? I went through a brief red ha outbreak and then a green, didn't seem to bother my softies. Looked like crap, but I didn't see an impact.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Its just the seed rock, some is boat rock(fiji rock) some is other acropora shaped rock. some is fake acropora with all kinds of life on it when I got it.

dmatt88

No kidding.. I'm going to get home tonight to find an HA epidemic.. lmao

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Id knock on wood. I've had diatom, ha, cyano, bubble algae, chaeto, caul, n now dino. Its always something. Gotta chill on the lights since I don't feed much

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Roots

In my original tank I added my first frags after about 1 month and they have gone on to thrive and grow. Someone else now has that tank, but the original corals I added are still doing well.

engineer goby

In my original tank I added my first frags after about 1 month and they have gone on to thrive and grow. Someone else now has that tank, but the original corals I added are still doing well.

I would say that's the exception not the rule. Now that's not to say you can't add corals early but I think it's best to wait until things stabilize. One major HA outbreak could kill off the corals

steved13

PREMIUM
Cycle the tank, establish the bio filter, add your CUC, add a coral. I don't see any reason to wait a year or 6 months. Yes you need to keep good water, properly maintain the system, nuisance algaes are a pain, but that doesn't change, that's from day 1 to day last. I still have the first 2 corals I added to my first tank.

Built347

One major HA outbreak could kill off the corals
Among other things /\............. I personally think that there is no rule.. circumstances vary.. imo one month in all but 1 circumstance is putting life at risk.. that one circumstance being pre established bio filter however u achieve it..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

lethal

I had a bryopsis outbreak ages ago so I elevated the Mg levels with Tech M and it hasn't returned since.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm patient, but if you told me I had to wait a year to add coral, I'd have a terrarium instead.

steved13

PREMIUM
One major HA outbreak could kill off the corals

That's a good point, but I would change that to... One HA outbreak not properly treated could kill off the corals... When a tank has a problem you can't just turn just turn your back on it...IMO that never changes and doesn't matter how long you wait...stuff is going to happen and you need to address the issue.

IMO your aquarium is a life form, if your dog had a life threatening problem (that you could do something about) would you just turn your back and walk away?

steved13

PREMIUM
I hope that didn't sound too preachy, and I'm not suggesting anyone else doesn't feel the same way, I just thought it should be said.

BLADEYAMAHA

Hey Steve, since I have your attention, do you know anything about Radions? I sell them but I really don't know crap about them, stupid huh?

BLADEYAMAHA

I looked at the page of the description of the XR30W on our website and it does not state how much area it will cover.