Note to Self!

Roots

I started with cured live rock and sand from an established and running tank and real sea water (I live in CA and sea water is available at some LFS') and after about a month my water tested good so I added some things. I did have some problems initially with cyanobacteria blooms though.

Doogle

I used liverock and after ammonia dropped I added cuc fish and coral. Never got nitrite. Still have never had a nitrate reading to this day. so far so good.
Although my tank is mostly corals!:thumbup:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I added coral to each of my tanks within about 6 - 9 weeks depending on the stability of the tank. It really depends on the tank, the owners husbandry skills, and the coral you're wanting to introduce. I can see instances where I'd add SPS coral to a tank that's only been wet 1 week and in the same breath can describe a system where I wouldn't even add GSP to a system that's 1 year old. It's all but impossible to put a "Rule" to adding coral because there are so many variables.

Now in regards to adding an Anemone that's a whole other story. We know what they require (at least for the most part) so it's pretty easy to lay out a general statement to something like "You should NOT add an anemone to most tanks unless they are STABLE for at least 6 months or more". Notice I didn't say "Been set up 6 months or more" because those two terms are NOT interchangeable. I've seen tanks ROCK SOLID stable at 6 months and I've seen a tank 2 years old that was so "all over the board" in regards to water chemistry that I wouldn't put gold fish in it.

Blade if you're digging the Radions you're gonna REALLY dig the GHL Mitras when they ship. Gonna make the Radion look like a beginners light :)

BLADEYAMAHA

I added coral to each of my tanks within about 6 - 9 weeks depending on the stability of the tank. It really depends on the tank, the owners husbandry skills, and the coral you're wanting to introduce. I can see instances where I'd add SPS coral to a tank that's only been wet 1 week and in the same breath can describe a system where I wouldn't even add GSP to a system that's 1 year old. It's all but impossible to put a "Rule" to adding coral because there are so many variables.

Now in regards to adding an Anemone that's a whole other story. We know what they require (at least for the most part) so it's pretty easy to lay out a general statement to something like "You should NOT add an anemone to most tanks unless they are STABLE for at least 6 months or more". Notice I didn't say "Been set up 6 months or more" because those two terms are NOT interchangeable. I've seen tanks ROCK SOLID stable at 6 months and I've seen a tank 2 years old that was so "all over the board" in regards to water chemistry that I wouldn't put gold fish in it.

Blade if you're digging the Radions you're gonna REALLY dig the GHL Mitras when they ship. Gonna make the Radion look like a beginners light :)

Mitras are gonna make the Radions looks beginners lights huh? I'm possibly game if the settlement goes well!:LOL:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
OK....you're talking about Eric's store....I'm familiar with that - I actually buy a lot from Eric......non fish stuff.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What's up with the phone. Flashing red lights going off.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I actually sent Eric a text for his b-day but didn't hear anything......he have a new number?