Note to Self!

BLADEYAMAHA

Don't try to warn people their tank is too young for corals.

Reminder.

Check.

OK, what's next on this list?

BLADEYAMAHA

Its not my opinion but I've heard 1 year, but my opinion if you have not hit the hair algae stage yet, you will and you better wait till thats over.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
It really depends on the situation... physical age is not everything.. you coold have 20year seasoned live rock in there.. who knows... if you start with all dry everything I'd say you would have trouble keeping the tank stable enough for even beginner corals before 4 months assuming your tank is on an average cycle time.. if you started with wet live rock then you may be ready as soon as the dust settles.. this answer depends on a lot man.. tell me about your setup.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

BLADEYAMAHA

I used 10 year seasoned rock to season my tank, I still having problems though but I have lots of life in my tank.

Built347

I used 10 year seasoned rock to season my tank, I still having problems though but I have lots of life in my tank.

What are your problems?. With 10year old rock I'd find it hard to believe that your have any problems related to nitrogen cycle or bacteria..

BLADEYAMAHA

Man, Devon, the only thing I can really think of are phosphates from the flake food I use but I like it, I use Ocean Nutrition Formula ONE Flakes and I cut back and now my HA is a lot less, my RO/DI filter is putting out 1 to 2 ppm water according to the Culligan Man's TDS meter and he was pissed cause I'm using a 17 dollar ro filter. Other than the flakes, I don't know what my problem is, like I said the HA is going away now that I started feeding so much less. Aiptasia is my main concern now.

dmatt88

Lighting and overfeeding r common reasons. I've recently cut back on lighting in the frag tanks to avoid dino algae.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
Could the rock be leaching anything? I've had old rock grow HA and never tested high for nitrates in the water column. Just a thought...

Choff

I just changed out my di resin when my water hit 1ppm outbound. All my stuff is reading zero.

Is all your rock 10 year old? Or just the seed rock? What is your other tock?

Nitrates have to building up somewhere or phosphate leeching from your rock.

Curious why ha is a problem for corals anyway? I went through a brief red ha outbreak and then a green, didn't seem to bother my softies. Looked like crap, but I didn't see an impact.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Built347

Hair algae should not be a problem for any coral other than it growing directly ontop of it and starving it's light.. HA is 100% natural and has no ill effects on the aquarium other than its appearance

Conway Corals

RS Sponsor
For me it has more to do with it overgrowing corals, or getting into the "roots" of the frag where you can't get it out.

I just changed out my di resin when my water hit 1ppm outbound. All my stuff is reading zero.

Is all your rock 10 year old? Or just the seed rock? What is your other tock?

Nitrates have to building up somewhere or phosphate leeching from your rock.

Curious why ha is a problem for corals anyway? I went through a brief red ha outbreak and then a green, didn't seem to bother my softies. Looked like crap, but I didn't see an impact.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Built347

For me it has more to do with it overgrowing corals, or getting into the "roots" of the frag where you can't get it out.

I could see that being fairly annoying.. tangs love the stuff.. just an idea..