Mike's Little Reef

mps9506

I'm going through a little algae bloom right now. Hopefully once I get my cleanup crew from the keys critters I'll be ok. Some folks think it is connected to Oceanic salt, so I bought a 200 gallon bag of IO just to see what happens over the next few water changes.

Here are some pics...

Striped Favia brain:
379faviabrain2.jpg

379faviabrain1.jpg

Pink montipora, complete with the algae I was tlaking about. This picture is pretty grainy:

379pink_monti.jpg

Mike

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry about the loss. Looks like this one is coming along! I like your pink monti, any chance you can get a better pic of it?

mps9506

A full tank pic will come when I get one or two more SPS corals, and follow up with interceptor. I should have done the interceptor treatment months ago, and I think I've paid for it. I had to frag my nobilis and I'm sure it was due to the bugs.
After all that I will look into getting a couple primo brain corals, and some more clams. Should be done with the stocking.
I still have about 30 pounds of rock cooking in a tub. Not sure if I should add it to the tank or possibly start another small nano-ish tank.

mps9506

It'll be tough getting a pic of the monti. It is now in the back corner of the tank, just anticipating the growth potential of this guy.

Maxx

Mike, I'm not normally a Favia fan, but yours is gorgeous! I generally like the Platygyra species...but like I said, yours has me thinking otherwise...
Looking good man!
Nick

mps9506

I'm the same way maxx. It's not real colorful, just reddish brown with green centers, nothing special. But the stripes set it apart I think. I should be getting some 14k bulbs in pretty soon, I'm hoping it looks even better under those.
It looks real cool at night when it swells up and looks all lumpy. I wish I could get a good picture of it at night when it looks like that, I unfortunately have not been able to do so.

mps9506

More pictures!

Lawnmower blenny (only fish in there as of now, I tried a bicolor back in April I think and he kicked the bucket about a month into it. This dude eats off the nori clip so he should do good, right now he is in heaven since most of my snails have died and I haven't attempted to replensih yet.

379lawnmowerandtable.jpg

Here is an attempt at a closeup of the brain, I tried with a flash to get the colors more accurate, but still didn't come out to hot. I'm still trying to accurately capture this brain on camera:

379faviaside.jpg

mps9506

The brain is probably 6 inches by 3 inches. Maybe 4.5 inches tall...
The lawnmower is fun, he is still skittish, but does a great job of grazing on algae so far. Normally I wouldn't have put him in a tnak my size with so little live rock, but since he seem to like the nori just fine I'm not to worried about him starving.

Mike

mps9506

Daaah... Where'd this algae come from?!?!
379lawnmowerblennysm.jpg

I got some 14k Coralvues, not happy with em, look the same as the 10k's. I think I'll try screwing it in again and changing the nipple position.
I haven't had any snails in my tank for a while now, guess I need to buy some, probably would solve the algae problem huh?

FWIW my euroreef hasn't skimmed anything in two days, I'm not sure if I'm getting into a low nutrient phase or what. Algae is ugly, I had forgotten what it looked like, guess I have gotten slack on maintence over the holidays.

Craig Manoukian

Mike,

Was condidering the 14,000K bulbs, but willstay with the 10,000K for now. Astrea snails and Scarlet Hermits are what do the trick for me!

mps9506

I have a bunch of astreas and ceriths on order. Just waiting for keys critters to resume shipping.

mps9506

red table frag, hasn't grown much. Had to bust it off the rock it had encrusted to when I did my rock cooking project, so that didn't help any.. waiting for it to re encrust and hopefully grow. The colony it came from hasn't really grown much either. But it will be my favorite once it starts to grow...
379redacronew.jpg