Lets see your favorite tang!

forestal

oops added the link...
had him 4 months...he seems fairly mellow in the tank : It is the Palette [Para. hepatus[/i](60 hex) of course it all belongs to him :)

Naso would ultimately get too big for the 120 methinks and i want to get something as native as possible to the indo pacific...

one thought i had was the chocolate Acanthurus pyroferous or Kole tang Ctenochaetus strigosus ....think these would be ok?

AJinNY

Yeah the blonde naso is a beauty. You know I cant have one even when the guy at the lfs wont see him to me. LOL

SWT you got a nice tank there. In the full tank pic I can see your Sailfin better....he looks like the adult version. How long have you have him and how quickly till they get really big?

Ive had him for about 1/2 a year, and he hasnt grown any! Hes probably as big as a yellow tang. Thanks Gina, hes hard to get a pic of cuz hes camera shy!.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Maybe in captivity and limited space, they cant grow?

There was a conversation at another site about this subject and a member mentioned something to me that's made alot of sense and as I researched concluded it's correct and that is that unless you buy a show size fish most fish in captivity will NOT grow to their full adult size they reach in the wild.

A LFS owner who has several large tanks that contain fish he's had for years including many Tangs and none of them have achieved their full size, one Hippo in particular he's had for 5 years and to say he's 8" in lenght would be a stretch.

Having said that it's not an excuse to jam as many Tangs that you can fit into your tank, you have to remember that almost all SW fish aren't captive bred and aren't used to tight quarters and can get very aggressive as they get comfortable in your tank. I speak from experience as I had one Hippo that just went homicidal in my tank and killed several fish including a beautiful Marginated Wrasse that isn't very common to hobbiests so please keep that in mind.

Maxx

Question for the experts? when my 120 (with another 100 sump) is up and running it will have a lot of swimming space...will be fiji lagoon/back reef wall against the overflow and shoal/turtle/manatee grass bed...biotope tank...what other tang is suggestible for this biotope and ok to go along with the blue tang? I just want the 2 tangs...i plan on only having a BTA with tomatoe clowns and a few wrasse for fish...but would love to add another tang...fish won't be added till system is up and fully running for 3-5 months...want sand bed/inverts to go nuts first

Forestal,
I wold suggest the Kole over the Yellow Mimic/Choclate tang. Acantharus tangs are hard corp algae eaters and will likely tear into your seagrass bed. The Kole is a Ctenochaetus same as the Chevron tang, (see the pics I posted earlier), and they also graze on algae, but they will also eat other things like cyano, detritus, etc....probably a better fit in this system.
Nick

AJinNY

I like the Koles myself, however some I see are pink and some I see are VERY dark.....this due to diets? I mean if I bought one Id be pretty peeved if it changed colors on me.

Maxx

Many Tangs will blanch in color when sleeping or stressed. They should be a nice chocolate brown when healthy.
Nick

AJinNY

Are tangs really reef safe? I noticed my hippo was going after a snail - at first I thought just the algae on its shell. But when the snail fell upside down on the sand the hippo was nipping at the poor thing...I felt bad so turned the snail over.

My friend has a PBT and he swears its been nipping at his torch.

Could this be? Maybe tangs arent as reef safe as everyone lets on?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Are tangs really reef safe?

In general they are but there are no absolutes, I know a few that became coral eaters, one Hippo in particular that was in a reef for 5 years had to be removed as he made a snack out of a beautiful Brain coral, he's in a FO now.

cleartank

Here is my Sailfin Tang in a 75 gallon - I just love him!!!

328firstsailfin.jpg

Dwaine