Lets see your favorite tang!

AJinNY

I never see any bristletooth tangs around.....have any pics of the hottest ones?

Also sailfins get VERY large even in captivity? How large?

Also is the chevron too docile to survive with a YT? How long do the juveniles keep the great color? The adult ones dont look very appealing at all.

mps9506

Yea, the bristletooths would include the chevron, kole, tomini and a few others. I won;t even attempt to spell the genus and honestly don't feel like clicking to find out the spelling :D I think Ctenochatus...
In a smaller tank, I would not recomend having a chevron with a yellow, esp if the yellow tang is already established.
I actually think the adult chevrons have nice coloraiton, it is subdued and doesn't come out well in pictures I think. They have deep dark purple lines ona dark body, kind of like a purple tang's stripes, very hard to see at first. But yes, nowhere near as impressive as the juvenile's gaudy orange :D
Mike

Craig Manoukian

Michael Paletta recommends keeping three tangs fron the more docile genus I mentioned in that link in a 240 gallon. As Mike pointed out, tangs are constant grazers and require LOTS of swimming room!

Not trying to be the police, but spread the truth and keep the tang population happy!

AJinNY

Hey Craig....I read that post....it says:

That being said, there are three genuses that generally get along well because they don't compete for the same food source. The three genuses are:

1. Zebrasoma
2. Acanthurus
3. Ctenochaetus

So basically, a YT, a PBT and a Chevron (or Kole) would get along since they dont compete for the same food source.....but asuming a 240 gal tank, how many food sources are there? lol

Its the regular sailfin, and when it swims around, it has its fins down, but if you go up to look at him he will bring them up. Also has them up when hes just sitting there

charlie

He's been around since the end of February. Put him and an achillies in at the same time, and they have been models of good behavior. I thought the purple was gonna do some serious damage to the achilles at first, but he mellowed out quite a bit!! :)

forestal

My favorites would be Blonde Naso and Vlamingi, but i cant have...here is a pic of mine...in a 60 but planning to go to 120 cube...he likes to hang around with the foxfish...they swim almost in tandem.
http://www.forestalsfish.com/pics/fish/dori.jpg

Question for the experts? when my 120 (with another 100 sump) is up and running it will have a lot of swimming space...will be fiji lagoon/back reef wall against the overflow and shoal/turtle/manatee grass bed...biotope tank...what other tang is suggestible for this biotope and ok to go along with the blue tang? I just want the 2 tangs...i plan on only having a BTA with tomatoe clowns and a few wrasse for fish...but would love to add another tang...fish won't be added till system is up and fully running for 3-5 months...want sand bed/inverts to go nuts first

charlie

The blue (powder blue?) will be a real bully, it would be best to add him last. You might want to add something from the zebrasoma family or a naso. How long have you had the blue?