Lets see your favorite tang!

AJinNY

Of all the different kinds of fish, tangs are by far my favorite. Which is your favorite tang and why? Id love to see a photo of it too!

I LOVE my hippo tang. Great looking fish with personality too. If he is hiding by some rocks all I have to do is put some Nori in the tank and then the action starts! Too cool.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I had a hippo tang for several years... loved it! I traded it in at the LFS when it got around 6" and started eating my corals :(

My favorite tang now is my purple tang... beautiful and very active!!

61Purpletang-med.JPG

AJinNY

Nice specimen. I didnt know hippos ate corals? Sheesh I guess u cant be too sure about anything in this hobby.

Nice pic and thanks for the post.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It fancied my xenia. I also had a beautiful powder blue that once it grew large, it would eat my frog spawn and xenia.... I should have video taped it eating the corals because no one believes me! ...and yes..i feed my fish well... nori and homemade mush :)

BoomerD

That would be my old buddy Dumbo.

adg.sized.jpg

Now gone to live in a friends 240 where he has room to grow and beat up on a dusemeri tang, and purple tang. (I tried to tell him..)
Great fish, hand fed him for almost forever.<sniff>

AJinNY

Hey Craig is that a Kole tang? DO they change colors from juvenile to adult? Ive seen different shades of that fish at the lfs. I love this topic - tangs are incredible....I wish I had a huge tank so i can have some more. :D

Gorgeous Sohal Boomer....I got a question...I see that fish at the lfs and its body is whiter than yours is......do these fish change colors or was the one at the lfs not doing too well? Apart from the obvious, how can you tell if the SOhal is healthy or not?

Is that the same pic that Craig used for his banner www.3reef.com?Nice pic Criag.
AJinNY I think it's a Yellow Eye tang.
As for any fish I owned colors sometimes represent their moods they are on (deeper or lighter)and yes an extended dull colors it might be that the fish is sick.
These are my personal observations over the years.

VINA

Craig Manoukian

Yellow Eyed Kole Tang. My experience tells me their color is related to nutrition. They really faded, pink, ones I have seen would lead me to believe they may have been cyanide caught. Mine has been that deep velvety purple color which I believe is due to its constant foraging in the green/brown PITA algea that collects on the tank glass. There are thousands of its kiss marks on my glass.

Yes the same fish as in my banner!

Last edited:

Mebigloser

Mine would have to be my Blue Atlantic Tang, man is this guy hard to get a picture.

MBL

Attachments

• img_0192_2 (small).jpg
    img_0192_2 (small).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 221

livingreef2004

Originally posted by AJinNY
Hey livingreef....u prefer the powder brown over the powder blue?

i definitley prefer the colors of the powderbrown over the powder blue i have had both and they are both equally great fish the brown is just more my taste in color

AJinNY

Hey nothing wrong with the yellow tang being your favorite. To me, the YT is a classic and a must for all reefers.

Witfull

i love scopas tangs,,,suble color and very well mannered reef-mates.

19scopas-med.jpg

Last edited: