1st SW/Reef Tank: 14g BioCube

astiesi

Very cool, I was actually going to go with a 40 breeder but my wife got up sold on the 65... same width and depth, just 25 gallons taller.

astiesi

So after doing some research I have decided to try dosing Vitamin C in order to help an Armageddon Zoa colony which just hasn't thrived in my tank. Here are some before pictures of the Armageddon colony which is having problems.

2009-06-22-0001.JPG

2009-06-22-0004.JPG

acemow

Just browsed your thread, looks great!! Would you say that maintaining water quality in the 14g is difficult? I am seriously considering adding one, already have a 75g, I am just researching the BioCube and folks experiences with them. Thanks! Happy reefing!!

brikeibur

Anthony those are some gorgeous zoas, I hope things turn around for you with them and they start doing better.

Keep up the good work man!

OH, btw....we bought a 90g tenecor from a guy looking to get out of reef-keeping. It was set-up and running so we had to go break it down, clean it up, and re-set it up. We bought it so we would have liverock and sand for the 76g when the stand and canopy is completed, but man, it is really nice. I hate to get rid of it now.....

I may be stuck with two large aquariums....dang this hobby is addicting!!!

astiesi

Thanks everybody, we'll see if the Vit-C has any effect.

acemow - I've actually had pretty good luck keeping the water quality pretty good in the BC14. The only negative I can comment on is it is tough to fully eliminate the Phosphates/Nitrates from the system not having the ability to add a fuge or phosban reactor to the system without considerable modification.

brikeibur - I've been following along your thread, I had a feeling you were going to end up keeping both. Congrats, now you just have to figure out which one to finish first!

astiesi

A quick update: Since I started adding 1/8 tsp of Vitamin C twice a day, all of my zoa colonies have looked healthier than I have ever seen them. The Armageddons, which I was having problems with, look great and the sporadic melting of polyps has completely stopped. I have not seen any negative effects whatsoever. I'll post some pics later on this week.

astiesi

Wow, I am horrible at updating this thread. I will have to get some pictures uploaded this week, as I promised to do 2 months ago.

astiesi

Well I promised pics long ago, took the pictures, but never posted them. These pictures are from July. This will be the last update on this tank as it is now empty, with everything moved over to my new 65g.

2009-06-22-0001.JPG

2009-06-22-0002.JPG

2009-06-22-0003.JPG

2009-06-22-0004.JPG

Thanks to everybody who followed along with this build, please check out my 65g build.