1st SW/Reef Tank: 14g BioCube

astiesi

After owning FW tanks for many years and always wanting to do SW, I figured now is as good a time as any. I have been collecting all of the equipment over the past 2 weeks. I am starting this chronicle from the very beginning.

Here is what I have gathered so far:

• 14g BioCube
  • 48W PC Lighting - 24 10000K, 24 Actinic
  • Oceanic BioCube Skimmer - Not expecting miracles, but I figure any little bit will help.
  • 50W Hydor Theo Heater
  • 137 GPH pump
  • Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, kH, Calcium. Phosphate test kits.

Here is what I am looking to get in the next week in order to set up:

• 20 lbs LS
  • 15-20 lbs LR
  • LR Rubble

As I bought the tank used, about 2 months old, I have already rinsed the tank out and wiped it down with vinegar. I removed the bio balls in the center chamber and I plan to replace them with LR Rubble. The heater and pump are located in the third chamber. I removed the filter cartridge and sponge filter. I plan on running filter floss which will be changed weekly and carbon periodically.

My plan is to stock with only 1 or 2 fish, CUC, and different softies. I am in no hurry and will not be adding anything for at least a month. I have read enough posts here to realize what can happen by rushing.

These pictures were taken as I was performing a leak test, which it passed, before putting the tank in its final location.

CIMG0072.JPG

CIMG0073.JPG

I will be posting pics when I finally get some SW into this thing with LS and LR. Wish me luck. :wave:

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome, I am fellow Biocube owner, with the Bigger cousin the 29 gallon. check my signature for my thread....most of the pictures show up near the end of the thread.

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
I don't have a bio-cube but I grew up in Margate. I flipped when I saw your location. I went to Coconut Creek High School. Nice to meet someone from my hometown.

astiesi

Hey Lynn, I thought I was the only person under 65 to ever live in Margate, great to meet you. I actually grew up about 30 minutes south in Hollywood and always thought Margate was just a giant retirement community.

And Daniel, I've been lurking on your thread for a couple weeks now, beautiful tank. Any tips you have will be appreciated.

tippMANn98

Oh yea? couple of weeks? Thank you. I am a FL boy too. I was born in Hollywood Memorial (regional/east) so was pretty much the rest of my family, both sides of my grandmother still live there, one right of of 95 and hollywood blvd. (next to the old TriRail station) and the other south on 95 in hallandale beach.

astiesi

Haha, 95 and Hollywood Blvd, I spent pretty much my entire childhood at my Grandparent's house blocks away. Its good to meet someone else that knows the area, most people just scratch their head when I say I'm from Hollywood FL.

tippMANn98

Yea, i got that a lot too. I lived in Pembroke Pines for 8 years. moved up here a few years back. But, yes I know the entire Holly/davie/C.C/Pines/Weston areas. I used to work for Pet World. Know them? Their Main store is at the Tower Shops on university.

reefsurf

looking forward to seeing your progress.....i've got a nanocube but in retrospect i wish i would have started bigger or at least with a better product; i.e. ability to attach a skimmer, better lights, open top. i don't know i'm learning a lot thanks to ppl commenting or reading/researching threads, etc.

astiesi

Hey reefsurf, check out nanotuners for upgrade ideas, they have some pretty cool stuff there.

I do know I will be wanting to upgrade shortly after getting life in the tank, I've always been that way with my FW tank. Lucky for me I have no room in my house for a larger tank which should keep me in check.

astiesi

I have finally found some time to get water in the tank this weekend. I added 20 lbs LS and 20 lbs LR including LR rubble in the second filter compartment. Here are some pics from right after setup.

cloudyDay1FTS.JPG

cloudyDay1Side.JPG

I am really happy with the way the 'scape looks. I especially like how the rock on the left side juts out and makes a cave underneath.

Here is a pic from Day 2. Now its just time to wait. I will be updating with water parameters as the tank cycles.

clearDay2FTS.JPG

astiesi

Alright, its been a couple days and my NH3 is 0 so I am going to add an anemone; a 3 day old, 14g cube should be ready for this, right? :woohoo:

Only kidding...

My NH3 reading has not budged from 0 so I am assuming the live rock was very well cured. In order to jump start the cycle I am considering adding a shrimp or some fish food. If anybody out there is reading this thread, what have you guys/gals used in the past to start the cycle? I've heard of the deli shrimp, fish food, and using a Damsel, however, I won't be using a live fish as I don't want to just kill it when there are other options.

Also, for those of you who have used a shrimp, did you use a raw or cooked(boiled such as in shrimp cocktail)? Are there benefits to one over the other?

astiesi

Thanks for that, I'm glad somebody has stopped by this thread. As long as people keep stopping by I'll keep posting pics and updates.

So far so good...

djbacon

heya, welcome aboard, fellow BC 14 owner here - need a bigger tank :)

keep at it - its gonna be lots of fun

astiesi

The cycle has begun... :whstlr:

Here are my current test results two days after dropping in a deli shrimp:

NH3 - 0.25
NO2 - 1.0
NO3 - 20

I do have a question for anybody paying attention. Should I perform a water change once the NO3 levels reach 30-40? I know this will slow down the cycle however I have read that it will help control algae and will be better for any HH that may have come in with the LR.

tippMANn98

IMO I would wait to do a water change when the cycle comes to an end. before you add livestock, just to get minerals and dissolved elements refreshed.

astiesi

Just an update...

NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 20

I am also in the midst of an algae bloom as I have brown algae growing just about everywhere. I have steadily been adding food to the tank, in fine mesh bags as to not spoil the water, to provide organic materials to feed the bacteria colonies. I have not seen any NH3 or NO2 readings > 0 in about a week.

Will continue to monitor...

On a side note, I found a small starfish that came in with the live rock. It is white and about 1/4 inch across. Once I can find it again I'll try to get a picture in order to get an ID.