1st SW/Reef Tank: 14g BioCube

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
and thats it? how much do you feed? what do you feed? how do you have the back chambers set up?

astiesi

The lights are on timers so the duration has been constant.

I have been feeding once a day, a combination of small pellets and frozen mysis shrimp, rinsed in RO/DI water. Since I only have the one fish I feed very little.

As for the back chambers, in the first I have the Oceanic Biocube skimmer. In the second I have live rock rubble along with filter floss, which I change weekly, and the PhosLock. I also have been running carbon 2 weeks in, 2 weeks out. The third chamber has the return pump and the heater. I removed the sponge from this chamber as well.

tippMANn98

Hmmmm, I took out all my LR rubble I had after a few months, it really really collected a lot of detrius and crap. Maybe try a reef grade carbon, like chemi pure elite, maybe something to pull out the phosphates a little better. How about your water change water? is it a good source of r/o, that could be a sign as well. The filter floss will get clogged and make a water flow trap. that sponge is good for bubble control and to catch large pieces of stuff. I rinse that one every week. as for filter floss, I just use it AFTER the cleaning day to polish the small particles out of the water.

astiesi

R/O water has tested out ok, no phosphates or nitrates. I may have to try the chemi pure elite next. I'll give the PhosLock and CUC a couple days to see if things are getting any better. Thanks for the advice.

tippMANn98

see, I have never been one to have luck with any kind of "quick" phosphate remover, locks, sponges, NONE of that crap, and to me its just that. There is a LFS I go to up here that doesnt sell chemipure, the lady says stopped selling it 9 years ago....blah blah blah..... I love this stuff, and the improved ELITE is some really really good stuff. When I started getting brown, I switched my R/O source, and did 2 5 gallon changes in a week on my 29g cube....

tippMANn98

nstiesi....You will like it....Trust me.....I change mine out every 3 months instead of the suggested 6 months.

Nstiesi & Astiesi was this on purpose? are you family? twins perhaps?

astiesi

Yeah, you guessed it, brothers. Been using this username for just about everything starting with my college email address. I hate having multiple usernames for everything.

nstiesi

Well, I know the chemi-pure isn't magic, but things are unchanged since adding it Friday. I have decided to cut lighting for about a day or two. Maybe it will shock the algae and the GFO will do the rest. I'll let ya know.

tippMANn98

dont cut the lights by the day, just take of hourly.....and you wouldnt notice anything for a few weeks with the chemipure, you gotta let it work, have patience.....

astiesi

Time for an update:

I did a 4 gallon water change last night. Syphoned out as much of the loose algae as possible. The algae problem is still there but appears to be thinning out a bit. I tested the water the day before the water change and still saw phosphate (0.25 - 0.5) and nitrate (5 - 10) readings. I will post some pics tonight as I am interested in comparing the pics from a few days ago against the new ones.

All the livestock is doing well. The hammer is opening up huge everyday, the new branch on it appears bigger everyday. The GSP frag has 10+ polyps opening everyday as well. The clown eats like a pig but he doesn't have any interest in the Hammer coral as of yet.

I will also be getting a new addition on Thursday, a toadstool frag from RS user rustysreef. I may also be adding a fire shrimp this weekend if I can escape out of the house away from my 4 week old son. Maybe its time for his first trip to the LFS. :dance: Other than that the plan is to just continue moving slowly and hopefully kick this algae problem.

tippMANn98

Sounds better so far, I would like to do as you say and compare the old and new pics from a week, I can often notice differences in my reef in a week span.

Grasspicker

Im enjoying reading this thread. I hope you do well with your tank, but I will say that your pick of a football team is lacking a bit. :hammerhea

Cant wait till September 20th. :jumprope:

astiesi

My pro team preference may currently be a bit lacking, although the Fins should at least double their win total from last year, but I'm thinking its a great time to be a Gator. There is nothing like the Swamp on a Saturday. You can quote me here, this year's team will be better than the 2006 team!

But don't worry, I won't hold it against you for being a Vol. Thanks for checking out the thread. :hallo:

astiesi

As was I Daniel - Memorial Regional...I think we had this conversation before.

Now is when you really find out who the real fans are, when things are in the toilet. Anyone who will still post on a public forum that he is a Dolfan is alright in my book!!

How much is it going to hurt to have to support Chad Pennington this year? Its going to be a while before I can see him and not think JETS?

tippMANn98

I KNOW!!!! Ahh...Its like signing Tom baby or someone like it! Hell, if he stays healthy and has something to give to the team, then there might be a miniscule chance that I might call him a dolphin, other than that, Hes still a J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK!

astiesi

Thats probably my favorite game to go to, fins vs jets....only home game where you are outnumbered by the opposing fans. Although its only fun when we are winning, you have to be ready to take some abuse otherwise.

And don't even joke about Tom Baby signing with the team, I would actually have to reconsider my allegience.....and I've been a dolphin fan since conception.

nstiesi

Ah, this thread is beginning to give me the warm and fuzzys :clink:

By the way, you won't even remember where Chad Pennington used to play if he wins 7 or 8 games for us this year.......though I use the word IF very carefully :lookaroun

tippMANn98

Im up here near tampa, but I got to the 3 or 4 Panther games here VS. the lightning, I know all about being out numbered fan wise. Going to game 1 in St. Petersburg in NOV.