1st SW/Reef Tank: 14g BioCube

astiesi

Well I forgot to get a good picture of the new orange Rics but I bought a Zoa and Xenia frag off of a fellow RS member. Here are the pics...

FTS-2-17-09.JPG

Zoas-2-17-09.JPG

Xenia-2-17-09.JPG

The only thing I'm still frusterated by is the Lobophora algae that I just can't seem to get a handle on. Otherwise, I am very pleased with the tank.

jgking21

Looking good! I'm upgrading from a 25 Gallon to a 54 Gallon, it's taken me 3 1/2 years to make this upgrade. Work with what you have for now, Reefing is FUN!

astiesi

Just ordered two zoa frags, one with about 15 polyps of what look like eagle eyes, the other a single polyp of armageddon zoas. I can't wait for them to get here....will be here Tuesday!!!

astiesi

If anybody is following this thread, how long should I wait until I start to get worried about the armageddon zoa polyp? Its been 3 days now and it has yet to open. The eagle eyes opened the very first night and everything else in the tank looks great. Water params are solid.

astiesi

No film or white specks, polyp looks good, just has yet to open. Tuesday night will be 1 week. I'm still hoping for the best.

astiesi

The armageddon polyp finally opened last Monday. I'll update with pics of the new corals after cleaning out the tank tomorrow.

astiesi

I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking to myself with this thread but here's another update...

I changed out the PC bulbs today and I was really surprised by the difference. You don't realize how yellow the 10K gets after about 12 months until you drop a new bulb in. After seeing this I'll probably start changing the PCs out every 9 months instead of 12.

And here are some pics:

2009-03-08-0009.JPG

2009-03-08-0010.JPG

2009-03-08-0011.JPG

2009-03-08-0013.JPG

2009-03-08-0014.JPG

astiesi

Here's a picture update. I have to start thinning out the Xenia as its beginning to block out the light from the Zoo colony next to it. I'll probably have to start giving it away.

2009-05-26-0002.JPG

2009-05-26-0003.JPG

2009-05-26-0004.JPG

brikeibur

I like your set-up! Good work!

I currently have a 24g nano, but we are building a stand and canopy for our 76g 1/2 cirlce tank (I can't wait)...so I know what you mean about the 'wanting to expand'. We have had our nano going for over 2 years now, and have wanted to go bigger from day one, but I'm glad we were patient, we have learned so much along the way.

Keep us posted!!

astiesi

Thanks for the compliments!!!

brikeibur - you need to get a thread started with some pics of that 76g 1/2 circle tank once you get her started. I'll have to follow along on that one, sounds sweet!

astiesi

Well, I think I had my first livestock loss....I don't count snails that may have passed along the way. My firefish, who has never missed a meal, has been MIA for 2 days. I'm fearing the worst at this point. Params are good and clown is looking great.

nstiesi

He may turn up......I know its a different beast but I used to go days without seeing my old prawn goby.......pretty sure the ich got him though.

mongozx

Hello astiesi,

I've been following this thread for a few months as a guest and finally joined since I'm close to purchasing a 14g Biocube myself. Your reef looks great and I hope to achieve the same successful results as yours.

Im a brandspanking new beginner at Nano reefs. I've been doing a lot of research especially in these forums. I still don't know what a protein skimmer looks like. Still trying to figure out all these new terms and acronyms (I just figured out what CUC stands for). But I do know one thing and that I'm going to do it RIGHT. I see a bunch of nanos on youTube that have been overstocked or stocked too early.

I have a few questions for you:

Why only 2 fish? Have you considered a third? I'm thinking of getting a clown, a blue goby and a pajama cardinal all because I heard they're very hardy. Is that too much for a 14g?

Sorry to hear about your emerald crab but what's the word about hermits and why won't you get one?

Can you list all the inverts you have in your tank and ones that you plan to add if any? I especially like the second pic from the top of post #148. What is that one?

Thanks in advance and expect many many many questions from me!

astiesi

Hello and welcome mongozx,

I'm glad to hear that you've been following along, its always a great compliment to hear that people are impressed by what I've manage to accomplish.

So here are some answers to your questions. Let me know if I miss any.

Why only 2 fish? Have you considered a third? I'm thinking of getting a clown, a blue goby and a pajama cardinal all because I heard they're very hardy. Is that too much for a 14g?

Well the basic guideline for fishkeeping in a saltwater tank is 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water. Basically that only gives a 14 gallon BioCube with live rock and sand a bit over 10 gallons by my estimation. Since I really wanted a Perc, which grow to 2.5" - 3", I didn't want to overstock the tank too badly. Thats why I decided on only 2 fish.

Having both the cardinal and the clown may be a bit much as I already see my clown getting a bit cramped in the cube and both fish would compete for the same area of the tank. Either one with a goby should be no problem.

Sorry to hear about your emerald crab but what's the word about hermits and why won't you get one?

I actually have a few micro blue leg hermits in the tank now. I added them about 2 months ago. They've been good cleaners and haven't caused any problems yet. I've always been a bit hesitant about crabs since they are oppurtunistic by nature...if they are hungry enough they will eat anything: coral, fish, snails. I figured the micro blue legs were small enough that they couldn't cause too much trouble.

Can you list all the inverts you have in your tank and ones that you plan to add if any? I especially like the second pic from the top of post #148. What is that one?

Here is my stocking list:

- True Percula Clown
- Firefish Goby - although he disappeared about 5 days ago now and I think he may have died.
- Fire Shrimp
- Blue Leg Hermits
- Multiple Zoa Colonies
- Orange Ric (which is pictured in second pic on post #148)
- Hammer Coral
- Pom Pom Xenia
- Green Star Polyps
- Toadstool Leather
- Green Mushrooms
- Multiple types of snails (Nassarius, Nerite, Red Stripe Turbo, Astrea)

As for any additions, I currently don't plan on adding anything. I believe there will be an upgrade in my future!

Last edited:

astiesi

Well, the upgrade has begun!!! For Father's Day my wife came home with a 65 gallon AGA with wood stand. Its going to be a very slow build as I will be getting the necessary equipment slowly over the next several months, as deals are found, but I had to share!

As for the BioCube, I will be posting pictures in the next week as it is coming up on its one year anniversary.

bskinn77

Nice man I am moving soon and with the move and hoping to upgrade as well! cant wait to see your new build progress!