1st SW/Reef Tank: 14g BioCube

astiesi

I have been trying to decide on a second and final fish. I'm leaning towards getting a yellow watchman but I have also considered a second clown or firefish. Just kinda waiting to see that fish that I have to bring home. If anybody has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Grasspicker, sorry to hear about the Arrow. I was in the same situation with the Emerald, caught him red handed and had to beat the poor thing over the head with a turkey baster till he let the snail go. All PETA members out there, don't worry, he sustained no lasting injuries. :surrender:

yungreefer2410

i would go clownfish or firefish. watchmen might hide and you rarely see him. thats how it is with my orange prawn striped goby

astiesi

Geez, take it easy, some of us have to work for a living. :surrender: J/K

Actually, there is a story there. Went to the LFS looking around at their coral, nothing caught my eye. I was about to leave when I noticed under the racks in the sand were two zoa polyps open but in the shade. I decided to inquire about them and ended up bringing them home.

After gluing them to a piece of live rock, they are now sitting in my tank recovering. After one day they are open but still very small. One looks to be orange and the other has a bright green center. I'm looking forward to seeing them really take off.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight, however not sure how well it will turn out being that they are still very small.

astiesi

Here is a pic of the single polyps I found at the LFS. After only 5 days in the tank one of them already has a second polyp growing!! They aren't the most colorful specimens but I had a good time glueing them to the rubble and I'm looking forward to seeing them grow.

SinglePolyps-11-6-08.JPG

astiesi

Just a quick update:

I went to the LFS on Sunday and came home with a second fish, a firefish. He just looked so colorful and healthy I decided it was time. I'm a bit bummed that I am at my stocking limit, gonna have to start looking for an upgrade. All I have to do is buy a bigger house first....no problem.

Anyway, the firefish was out and about last night but I was unable to find him this morning. This doesn't worry me too much as my lights don't come on till 2 pm, but I'll feel alot better when I go home tonight and see him swimming around. Besides, tonight is feeding night so I should be able to get a pic or two.

astiesi

I'm happy to report that everything appears to be doing pretty well. The new firefish is very active and eating well.

And now to the pics:

FTS-11-18-08.JPG

Firefish-11-18-08.JPG

Mushroom-11-18-08.JPG

astiesi

So, I decided to mess around with the wife's camera tonight and see if I could take some pics that would more reflect what the tank looks like in person. I still have alot to learn but here are some pics which I think turned out quite nice.

GSP-12-3-08.JPG

Hammer-12-3-08.JPG

Zoas-12-3-08.JPG

Jeremy0322

Just to warn you that toadstool leather will grow like crazy. I have had one for about three months(if that even) and it is about 4x its original size. I just hope zoas grow as fast as that thing does!

astiesi

Yeah, I'm aware that toadstools can get quite big. Thus far, I've had it for about 4 months and its has been growing steadily, it has maybe 2x in size. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade by the time it outgrows this tank.

The zoas on the other hand have started spreading like crazy. I've had 10 - 15 new polyps since adding it to the tank 2 1/2 months ago.

Just a note to anybody following along. I started using a product called PhosLock to help remove phosphates from the tank. Product works well and I had finally gotten rid of all of the HA and cyano. However, I did learn the hard way that it has to be fully changed monthly. I began noticing cyano in the tank 2 weeks ago, I couldn't figure out where the phosphates were coming from. Well it seems when the PhosLock becomes saturated it leaks phosphates back into the water. Changing it out has since fixed the problem and I am again cyano free. Basically, I'm just saying follow the directions and don't get lazy like I did.

nstiesi

interesting....the phosban I just bought says it will NOT leech PO4 back into the water. either all GFO is not created equal, or phosban LIES!!!

astiesi

Well, today is this tank's 6 month anniversary! It's been slow going but I'm quite pleased with the success I've had so far. I'm already thinking upgrade but the lack of space in my house is keeping me from taking that step just yet.

Here are some pics 6 months into the project...

First a FTS:
2008-12-29-0003.JPG

The blue zoa colony that has really taken off:
2008-12-29-0005.JPG

The very first coral, a hammer coral which now has 3 heads instead of just one...kinda hard to tell when its open:
2008-12-29-0007.JPG

My first internet coral purchase, a small toadstool frag which isn't far from outgrowing the tank already:
2008-12-29-0008.JPG

Here is a neon green zoa colony that was just a single polyp not too long ago:
2008-12-29-0009.JPG

The latest addition:
2008-12-29-0012.JPG

The original inhabitant:
2008-12-29-0013.JPG

Other news....I will be traveling out of town 6 days, 5 nights starting tomorrow. I have another reefer coming over Thursday to feed and top off, otherwise I'm just praying nothing bad happens.

Thats all for the update.

astiesi

Well, I lost my first corals this past week. I picked up 3 loose mushrooms from an LFS about 2 weeks ago. I was away from the house for a while so I was unable to put them right in the tank. About 6 hours after purchasing them I started the acclimation process but the corals looked horrible. It seems the temperature got colder than I thought it would in the bag and all 3 died within a week.

So in order to make myself feel better I decided to buy a small rock with 2 Orange Rics on it today. The large ric has 2 mouths and seems to be in the process of splitting. The second one is just a baby, maybe half the size of a dime. I was pretty happy to get this piece for only 19.99. Pics will follow in a day or two.