1st SW/Reef Tank: 14g BioCube

astiesi

Nassarius snails are great for stirring the sandbed and getting to uneaten food. The actually do a great job of keeping my sandbed looking good.

As for the rocks and glass, this is where I need the help. I'll probably run around a bit this weekend and look for some additional snails to add to the CUC, maybe one or two larger Turbos. The Nerites do a pretty good job, they are just smaller and slower at the algae eating than I would like. :look:

Grasspicker, what salt are you using? I'm using reef crystals and I have had no problems with Ca, regular water changes keep the levels right where they should be. I have heard that Instant Ocean has been known to contain low Ca levels.

astiesi

Well here are some updated pics. I am going to add another snail or two to my CUC but not until Hurricane Ike passes us by.

Enjoy the pics:

FTS-9_5_08.JPG

FireShrimp-9_5_08.JPG

Toadstool-9_5_08.JPG

RNicorvo

I agree - your tank is looking much better and clearer. I had 1 turbo, 2 red legged hermit crabs and 1 nassarius snail. I added 3 red band snails and 2 nassarius snails and I must say that the algae is so minimal that I have to see if they have enough to survive.

As you may recall, I was purchasing some new corals from live aquaria and was going to post pics. What a big mistake I made. Our lighting for the bio cube is not bright enough and you can't really fix it. Thank God, I have a great neighbor that came to the rescue and took 2 off my hands to help. IO actually had 1 coral that deteriated 60% in 2 days and one changed from blueto light pink in 24 hours. They're both doing well right now - the one had to be fragged into 2. I'll unfortunately have to sell them. However, I did buy a blastomussa who is looking pretty good, so I get pics out soon.

Looks like you're off to a great start!

ROBIN

astiesi

Thanks Robin for checking in. I'm actually starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel with this algae problem. I'm looking forward to adding some more coral soon, I'd really like to add some zoos and mushrooms.

I'm sorry to hear about the coral order. I just looked up the types you ordered and just realized they were SPS, which I've read are impossible to keep healthy under PC lighting. I'm glad your neighbor came to the rescue.

Grasspicker

Looking good. yea the hair algae for sure is an Emeralds dream.

I got some new stuff this weekend and will post them up once I get them downloaded today. I found out what was going on with my Ca. I was doing the test wrong. :smck: It was put the powder in it turns blue which is what i was getting then 8 drops of the second solution it goes purple and then the third part to turn it back to blue. My Ca is around 470 so im in ok shape. I have been noticing that when I feed my tank the skimmer starts putting small air bubbles into the tank. Is that normal ? It clears up after a while but its anoying as heck.

astiesi

Well over the weekend I came home with 2 more Red Striped Turbos. I am extremely glad I did as these two have been the most active snails I have ever seen and have really done a job on the algae. I am definately on the downward slope of the hair algae bloom, however, now I am seeing pieces of bubble algae show up here and there. Because of this I am again considering the addition of an Emerald crab. This will be a decision for a later date.

As for everything else, all of the livestock is looking great. The corals are getting bigger everyday and the perc is eating like a pig. If it weren't for the algae in the tank I would be extremely pleased with the progress. I'll update with a new pic tonight.

astiesi

Alright it took a few days but here are the pics I promised. Nothing huge to report except the hair algae problem is slowly but definately going away. Because of this I expect to make a LFS run this weekend and finally add some new livestock. Hoping to find a good zoa frag, mushrooms, and/or maybe a second and final fish. I really like yellow watchmen, anybody have any thoughts?

I am having a bit of bubble algae pop up, considering an Emerald crab, but to be honest crabs scare the hell out of me.

Some thoughts about my algae problem. When setting up the tank I had seeded the cycle with fish food after realizing a deli shrimp made my entire bedroom smell like dead fish. Knowing what I know now I believe this caused a huge spike in phosphates, which fueled the algae. When I do set up my next tank (bigger) I will definatly only use a raw deli shrimp for this purpose.

Anyway, the pics:

FTS:
FTS_9-17-08.JPG

Toadstool:
Toadstool_9-17-08.JPG

GSPs:
GSP_9-17-08.JPG

Grasspicker

U will love the emerald crab. Trust me, they are harmless. I watch mine around the corals and he never has any interest. They are fun to watch as well, with their little saucer plate pinchers. :) Dont worry about the Emerald, Go get one and see, you wont regret it. If you do get a watchman inspect his mouth area very carefully. I lost one this past week. He got an injury and it never got better. I havent rulled out the Arrow crab which by the way I would not recomend in anything smaller than a 75 gal tank. Mine has molted two times already in two months and is a monster.

Your tank is looking good. It looks like an emerald crabs dream:bluenod:

astiesi

Well as long as you are going to vouch for the emerald, I think I'm going to pick one up this weekend. Supporting that decision is the constant appearance of bubble algae. I'm not relying on the emerald to solve the problem, as I am already working on starving the algae out, but I would just like to see the bubbles stop spreading.

Since nobody has offered a resounding "no to crabs" here I may as well give them a try. I'm hoping that even if the crab goes rouge I will be able to catch him before too much damage is done.

astiesi

Well, I went over to the LFS to pick up an emerald crab but they were all out this weekend. I'll have to check back Wednesday or Thursday night.

I did, however, find a nice little zoa colony at a good price. They are a nice pale blue/purple with brown tentacles. Here's a pic...

Zoas_9-21-08.JPG

astiesi

Well, I haven't updated in a while so here's a recap of the past few weeks:

1. Finally found an emerald crab. Within a week all bubble algae was gone.

2. The zoas are spreading already, the hammer coral is bigger then ever, and the GSP are growing nicely, although they keep getting knocked off the rock every few days.

3. The toadstool has been pouting for about a week now. Just today my wife caught the emerald red-handed picking at it. Looks like it may be time to set a trap and remove the crab, even though I am very fond of him and his housekeeping abilities.

I'll follow this up with some pictures tonight.

astiesi

Well, pics will have to wait a day or two. I went to feed the tank tonight and watched as the emerald crab viciously attacked two nassarius snails. Adding this to the damage to the toadstool and I saw no choice but to rip the tank apart to get the devil out. So now just about everything is pouting.

Currently the emerald crab is in a bucket waiting to be taken to the LFS tomorrow. In short I am now a supporting member of the "crabs are evil" society.

astiesi

Crab has been returned to the LFS, small green mushroom came home with me. I have pics on my camara, unfortunately I don't have the camara at work with me today. I'll post the pics tonight.

Grasspicker

I really hate to hear about the Emerald. :cry1:

I never once saw anything out of mine that would lead me to believe he would be a problem and now im ashamed I recomended him. :ashamed:

Could be the reason mine died. I have no idea what happened to him. I just found him one morning dead. Nothing in the tank that would kill him either. It could have just been an age thing.

At least yours took care of the problem with the algae. Was there anything left for him to eat besides the things you didnt want him eating?

astiesi

He was still doing a good job eating the Lobophora algae, which there was still a good amount of in the tank. I had a conversation with a woman at the LFS who said there are really two varieties of crabs that are sold as Emeralds, ones with hairy legs and ones without. This was a hairy leg green crab which she suggested where not reef safe. Not sure how accurate that is but it could be an explanation. Either way, no harm no foul.. the crab has a new home and the toadstool is recovering.

And here are the pics I've been promising:

A FTS:
FTS-10-26-08.JPG

This pic was meant to show how well the zoas have spread since adding them, however most of the growth cannot be seen as its on the backside:
Zoas-10-26-08.JPG

Heres the new addition, not quite fully open yet in the pic:
Mushroom-10-26-08.JPG

Grasspicker

Very nice indeed,

The lady may be right on there being two kinds. Mine had the the Hairy legs though so I would say either I had a mild one or you just had a plain Evil one. I guess its a risk with crabs.

My Arrow crab had to be removed from my tank for trying to execute my new Yellow Watchman. I caught him red handed with him in his clutches. He tried to tell me he was just trying to let him know about the water changes to reassure him all would be ok. I didnt buy it. :nono: