Search results

1. sirrealism

Sad day. My mandarin is dead

So I get home from work yesterday to a flood. My 90g tank with a HOB overflow was over filling. I had put a couple larger snails in the tank a week ago so I thought I had a snail in my drain pipe. I shut the tank down and started cleaning up my mess. I have a shop vac and had to clean up about...
  2. sirrealism

How do I convert a system to Zeo

So after seeing many great tanks here that use Zeo products I am sold. I want to convert my 93 cube to Zeo but its been running for several years. I have read most of the threads on here where people have started there tanks on Zeo but I cant do a restart."This is my clam tank" Would someone...
  3. sirrealism

40 Percent off on Zeo Sale

Just found this and i know there are several reefers who use the products so I thought I would share as its a good deal. Anybody using Zeovite products, BRS and AquariumSpeciality having 40% off sale.
  4. sirrealism

HELP! I found 3 roaches in my stand

HELP! Last night I was under my 90g tank and found 3 live roaches. I need to get rid of them before my wife see's them or my hobby is over. I buy lots of used equipment and never had an issue. I want to get a jump on this before it gets out of hand. I live in FL so roaches are everywhere but we...
  5. sirrealism

Test kit tests. Good info for all

I came across this and wanted to share. Makes you wonder if your tests kits are any good http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry
  6. sirrealism

Has anyone ever used this test kit?

So I was just looking for some new test kits and cam across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/eXact-ECO-CHECK-Meter-Kit-Photometer-Colorimeter-Aquarium-Pond-Aquaculture-/121146447323 Has anyone ever used this? Is it any good? Sure looks simple enough to use. Yes a bit pricey but the fact that it is...
  7. sirrealism

couple vids of my past octopus

I have kept octopus for many years "7 different species" Here is a couple vids of my octos I thought everyone might enjoy. This is one of my Wonderpus named Baby. "the wife named her" They are very hard to keep alive and most only make it a couple weeks. Before anyone says your not...
  8. sirrealism

Grouper eating a lionfish

Most of us know that Lionfish have gotten way out of hand in the caribbean. This is the first time anyone has seen any fish eat a lionfish. No one knows if there were any ill effects to the grouper but we can hope that maybe they have found a way to eat them. Take a look
  9. sirrealism

DIY Alkalinity and Calcium

Hey everyone. So I was messaging with another member about my tank with 5 clams in it. "2 are over 1' long" and he wanted to know what I do to keep them so happy. I told him nothing but clean water, good lighting and lots of alk and cal. I go through 1 gal per week of alk and 1 gal every 3 weeks...
  10. sirrealism

One of my friends did a coral feeding time lapse

One of my friends did a 110 min time lapse of his acans eating mysis. Thought i would share.
  11. sirrealism

Removing the top of an 8g biocube

Hi all. I have seen a few bio cubes that have had the top frame removed to make it a rimless tank. Last night i removed the lid so I could put my AI nano light over it. I dont really like the look of the top frame on it with the lid off. My question is how hard is it to remove the top rim. Can I...
  12. sirrealism

New Naso tang eating bubble algae

So yesterday I picked up a Naso tang under 3". With in 15 min of being in my 40b frag tank He/she started eating bubble algae!!! I had never heard of a tang that would eat bubble algae. Before the tang police say anything the 40b frag tank is being used as my QT for all new fish as it only has a...
  13. sirrealism

Brine shrimp hatchery DIY

So the topic of Baby brine shrimp has come up a few times and I was asked a couple times to put together some pics and explain how to hatch your own brine. I will not use a bunch of scientific names like (nauplii of Artemia salina) First time I read that I had to look it up too so lets keep it...
  14. sirrealism

Teco TR15 chiller for sale 350$ Perfect shape

So I have this Teco chiller that i dont need that works great. If you dont know the name Teco when it comes to chillers they are one of the best if not the best you can get. You can add items to this chiller that you cant with others. There is a place inside the chiller for a heater and also a...
  15. sirrealism

Check out what my carpet nem did

So i have a couple carpet nems and a pair of saddle back clowns. My clowns are not small. Female is about 3.5" and male just under 3". They love there one carpet more then the others. They love it so much I think the carpet said enough. Mind you the female is still all in the carpet I...
  16. sirrealism

Shark chasing ray and dumb people not getting out of the water

http://digg.com/video/a-hammerhead-shark-chasing-a-stingray-next-to-two-guys-who-take-forever-to-get-out-of-danger
  17. sirrealism

My 3 Tailless Sea Horses

So I stopped by my friends whole sale LFS. She was telling me her boy friend who is a shrimper brought her some sea horses. I take a look and 3 are missing there tails and she said I cant sell those and did not know what to do with them and offered them to me. Well I do have a small biocube with...
  18. sirrealism

Time to go big. 300g

So I thought I would Chronicle this build and it will also give me a chance to ask questions on some of my ideas. I have been keeping aquariums for 22 years and reefs for over 20. I have had some very nice systems and some pretty good sized ones to. The largest I have ever had was a 150g 6'...
  19. sirrealism

Considering A RSM 250

Hi guys. I have several different tanks and have had some all in one systems "mostly bio cubes" I have been in the hobby for oh IDK lets say 20+ What are the real benys to having a RSM. There sure are a lot of them on this site so there must be some thing great about them. I dont know any one...
  20. sirrealism

Its been a long time. I had forgot how much I like this site

Hi all. From looking at my history its been almost 8 years since i have been on this site. Cant believe I remembered my password LOL. Looking at my signature was like a blast from the past. 150 gal reef with a 24 nano split in 2 with one side a refuge with a 8"sand sub and the...