Considering A RSM 250

sirrealism

Hi guys. I have several different tanks and have had some all in one systems "mostly bio cubes" I have been in the hobby for oh IDK lets say 20+ What are the real benys to having a RSM. There sure are a lot of them on this site so there must be some thing great about them. I dont know any one with one which is why I ask here. I have found one and I just want some input before I pull the trigger. Its a 250 used "I never buy new". I would really like to hear some pros and cons over a conventional system. As far as I know the system is completely stock. Thanks in advance

Pat24601

For us new hobbyist (of which there are many on these boards), I think a huge advantage to us is that it's a complete system designed so that all the components fit together likely better than we could do on our own. It also has almost everything we need ready to go on one easy package.

I also think it looks sleek. :)

For the 20+ year hobbyist, that's probably not true. You could probably custom design something to your preferences just fine.

So, one of our more experienced reefers will have to explain why they like it. :)

sirrealism

Thanks Pat. That makes perfect sense. Do you guys mod them much or are they really just plug and play. I am getting it for a steal in comparison to what they go for new. Like 10%

Pat24601

Thanks Pat. That makes perfect sense. Do you guys mod them much or are they really just plug and play. I am getting it for a steal in comparison to what they go for new. Like 10%

Mods vary. Personally, the only thing I've added is an ATO and I'm feeling no pressing need to add anything else. Adding a wave maker is very popular, but I'm not sure it's needed per se. I like my flow without it so far.

Others do add things like chiller, LEDs, even a refugium. The chiller is the only one that may or may not be optional. I have the newer model which doesn't appear to need it and I can't speak to the older models well.

So, I don't feel it needs a lot of mods, no. It's a hobby though and people do what they will. :). Sometimes modding is part of the fun.

10% sounds like a no brainer deal unless something is flat out wrong with it. Regardless of whether you have different individual preferences, I think most of us feel quite happy with our purchase and that it's a great tank.

newo11

That's a good deal! As you probably know from being in the hobby this long - the only thing you can't change or fix is scratches in the glass. If there are no scratches (or they are minimal), I'd jump all over that!

I bought mine used as well. I had some issues, some I knew about at purchase, others I found out about later. My investment is still substantially less than new though even considering repairs etc.

sirrealism

thanks everyone. I think I will pick it up and put it in the garage with the 8 others in there LOL Hello my name is Brant and I am a reef addict! Or you ill see me on an TV show called hoarders. I told the wife that after the 300 is up and running that I would get rid of A lot of the extra stuff I have. My reef club friends call me when ever they need something because I probably have it. Now sitting here thinking about it I need to have a aquarium garage sale.