Removing the top of an 8g biocube

sirrealism

Hi all. I have seen a few bio cubes that have had the top frame removed to make it a rimless tank. Last night i removed the lid so I could put my AI nano light over it. I dont really like the look of the top frame on it with the lid off. My question is how hard is it to remove the top rim. Can I do it with out taking the tank down? Does it come off easy? Believe it of not I put my carpet nem in this tank. I will be doing 50% water changes every 3-4 days to keep my water quality up. There will be no fish in the tank since this nem has eaten a few clowns and many other fish. Hes a bad boy!

puffermike

Hi all. I have seen a few bio cubes that have had the top frame removed to make it a rimless tank. Last night i removed the lid so I could put my AI nano light over it. I dont really like the look of the top frame on it with the lid off. My question is how hard is it to remove the top rim. Can I do it with out taking the tank down? Does it come off easy? Believe it of not I put my carpet nem in this tank. I will be doing 50% water changes every 3-4 days to keep my water quality up. There will be no fish in the tank since this nem has eaten a few clowns and many other fish. Hes a bad boy!

Looks like somebody has done it already.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/306012-fastsafe-and-easy-way-to-remove-rim-for-biocubes/

sirrealism

thanks puffer mike. Yes I have seen them without rims a lot. Now I know I should take the tank down to do it.

DaveK

Long term, you really need a much larger tank for a carpet anemone. They get large. There are several species of carpets so you might consider a trade with your LFS for one that can live with you clowns.

As for removing the top frame, it can be done. You do have to do this very carefully and an empty tank is best, because if you mess up and break the glass in the process, the mess and clean up is a lot less. I would not recommend removing a top frame on a tank much over about 10 gal.