Search results

1. Cal Native

Rip

Well it's kinda sad... I lost my favorite fish, a Randall's gobie. I woke up early in the morning to find him (or her) slightly stiff laying on the living room rug. He must of leaped out just hours before. So if you could a moment of silence for all our fish that have passed before their time...
  2. Cal Native

Clam Dying?

I've had this Derasa Clam for over a year it has grown over 1/2 inch, it is usually out all the time but the last few days it has retreated in it's shell more than I've noticed before. It will close if tapped, but it does not seem to be as "happy" as before. The water levels are the same. Any...
  3. Cal Native

Star Polyps VS Duncan Coral

Will star polyps sting or cause duncan coral to die?
  4. Cal Native

Getting rid of sponges

I had (not sure if I killed them yet) white sponges that were growing over my zoas and choking them out. So I took out the rock and scrubbed away as most of the sponge as I could them dripped iodine on the area. So far everything else in the tank seems quite happy, question is Is the sponge...
  5. Cal Native

zoas being smothered by a sponge?

This is really close up and not the best shot, seems to have little pores, touched it with a stick and it feels dense. Is it a sponge and can I get rid of it before it destroys all my zoas?
  6. Cal Native

what the heck?

I don't have a clue? Does not seem to bother anything, but what is it?
  7. Cal Native

?Puzzled?

I have some zoas that have developed a white thick web like substance on the old dead part of the coral... any ideas? Should a just remove the old frag? It was a piece that I have been trying to re-grow.
  8. Cal Native

Question for Canon users

What is your favorite macro lens? i just purchased the Canon 40d and a 70-200 mm zoom 2.8f so I'm broke. But Later I would like to get a macro lens what's your favorite?
  9. Cal Native

Happy as a Clam

Today is the day I pick up my new Canon 40d with a Canon 70-200 mm 2.8f lens (hopefully there not back ordered). :whstlr:
  10. Cal Native

I need to catch a Blue Tang

I need help! I have a small tank that needs to get rid of a Blue Tang that has/is starting to overgrow his surroundings. My problems is I don't want to tear down the tank to do it, everything is growing great and looking good. I don't have room to put a trap on the bottom either. Does anyone...
  11. Cal Native

Love my Pistol Shrimp but...

They can sure move stuff around, great to watch but in one night they can move a boat load of sand to another area. Just thought you might want to know if you are considering adding one to your tank.
  12. Cal Native

Duncan Care

I just got a 2 head frag of Duncan Coral at my LFS. Anybody with experience I would appreciate any tips on care, growth, etc. Thanks
  13. Cal Native

100 micron filter material

I was wondering if there is a manufacturer that sells the polyester filter media so you can make your own filter socks for different applications/sizes?
  14. Cal Native

eco-aqualizer

I just saw an ad in a new fish magazine telling of the fantastic results of adding this inline filter to your system. I smell BS "ionic", almost eliminates water changes, crystal clear water, nutrients work better, lasts ten years, the list goes on and on. Has anybody else seen this? Am I...
  15. Cal Native

filter socks

Does anyone know of someplace to get filter socks cheap? I use 4" 100 micron with the plastic ring. Also I'm looking for small drawstring filter socks to go over the output of the skimmer to eliminate bubbles. I have a small sump under the stand for my nano and this is the only way to get rid of...
  16. Cal Native

Flasher Wrasse

I really would like to see photos of everyones favorite flasher wrasse, it will help greatly in making up my mind on my next fish once I catch my blue tang. Thanks
  17. Cal Native

Electrical MESS

I have a nano with a sump/refug, UV, Skimmer, Fan, Heater etc. in the stand. The problem is the Power Strip, Plugs, Timers, Cords etc. are in a blob on the floor next to the Chiller (the Chiller Can stay out). I want to hide this mess plus add a 5 gallon auto top off all hidden somehow in...
  18. Cal Native

Duncan Coral

Questions: Are they worth the money? Are they easy to keep? Do they Grow fast?
  19. Cal Native

Sand Sifting Starfish

What is the normal activity of the sand sifting starfish? I just bought one at my LFS yesterday and it buried itself right away now this evening it is moving around the tank quite a bit. Do I need to feed it anything in particular? I tried some shrimp pieces but it didn't seem interested. Or do...
  20. Cal Native

Brain VS Clam

My brain coral has slowly shifted over to where my clam is, seems to be no problem so far... will there be? Should I move it to be on the safe side? It has been there for awhile. Thanks