Clam Dying?

Cal Native

I've had this Derasa Clam for over a year it has grown over 1/2 inch, it is usually out all the time but the last few days it has retreated in it's shell more than I've noticed before. It will close if tapped, but it does not seem to be as "happy" as before. The water levels are the same. Any guesses? Or am I too paranoid. Thanks

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
if the water levels are the same, its possible its been declining for a long time as is the case with clams, this could be the end or its just on siesta, what lighting do you have, where is it placed and sorry, but, your gonna have to cough up all your test results and parameters

msbdiving

Along with the water, light info would help as well. What sort of set up do you have and how often do you change out the bulbs?

Cal Native

Along with the water, light info would help as well. What sort of set up do you have and how often do you change out the bulbs?

150 watt Metal Halide (8 hours) and a
combo Actinic/Daylight (mid-day for 3 Hours)
change them every 6 to 8 months

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cal, what size tank is this over? whats the ca++, magnesium, alkalinity and ph? and just for giggles, what it the nitrate level?
Derasa's are light feeders and a single 150 over say a 75 gallon is not enough for that kind of clam. Any clam really.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
150 watt Metal Halide (8 hours) and a
combo Actinic/Daylight (mid-day for 3 Hours)
change them every 6 to 8 months

This probably has NO bearing on that but why do you only run actinics for 3 hours at mid-day? Most who run them run those bulbs one hour before main lights, during main lights, and then for another hour afterwards. This simulates your dawn & dusk effects. Actinics penetrate well and provide the "Bluer" wavelength of light that deep water critters are designed to utilize for their photosynthesis.

Cal Native

Cal, what size tank is this over? whats the ca++, magnesium, alkalinity and ph? and just for giggles, what it the nitrate level?
Derasa's are light feeders and a single 150 over say a 75 gallon is not enough for that kind of clam. Any clam really.

The lighting is over a custom built nano with, sump, protein skimmer, chiller, UV sterilizer the works.

Cal Native

This probably has NO bearing on that but why do you only run actinics for 3 hours at mid-day? Most who run them run those bulbs one hour before main lights, during main lights, and then for another hour afterwards. This simulates your dawn & dusk effects. Actinics penetrate well and provide the "Bluer" wavelength of light that deep water critters are designed to utilize for their photosynthesis.

The actinic is a combo with a daylight & with the metal halide it is very, very bright, that is why I run it during "High Noon" for about 3 hours. Like I said the clam has been doing great for over a year and now it looks pretty week, it has been a few days now it still opens and closes but one side is really withdrawn and not extending like it used to. Bummer I have 2 hi fin gobies that hang out around it. If it dies I will have to put the shell back in.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The lighting is over a custom built nano with, sump, protein skimmer, chiller, UV sterilizer the works.
Well now, that IS a lot of light then. And it sounds like the nano is hooked up. Are you able to keep the temp swings within a few degrees? If you have a power outage a nano can change temp pretty quick. Sas pointed you in the right direction btw. That site is great for clam issues.