Search results

1. reefer gladness

2014 Ocean Art photography competition winners

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/2014-ocean-art-contest-winners#names
  2. reefer gladness

RBTA splitting

Normally not a good thing to see the guts of your nem but in this case I was able to snap a couple pics of one my RBTA's in the final stages of splitting. This split started about 15-16 hours before pics were taken and it's just about finished here. First an FTS, the spitters are the RBTA's...
  3. reefer gladness

LPS corals competing for space

Snapped this photo in the morning with my camera, excuse the poor quality. Only moonlights were on so used flash. The acan on the left has always been peaceful, until now anyway. The brain on the left is pretty aggressive and sends out long feeler tentacles occasionally but definitely...
  4. reefer gladness

Need ideas for small fresh water tank

A co-worker of mine is interested in a small freshwater tank. As low-maintenance as possible and with some hardy fish that won't croak in the first week and provide some entertainment value to small children. Any and all suggestions welcome. I've never had a freshwater tank and jumped...
  5. reefer gladness

Video: Mixed reef with two RBTA's

Here's my first attempt at shooting some video of the tank, if I'd actually planned to do this the glass would have been cleaned a little better. Video is lonnng, but you can see the mandarin goby hunting for a bit and everyone comes out for feeding about 1/2 way through...
  6. reefer gladness

power outage

So I experienced my first significant power outage, knew it was bound to happen sooner or later but still wasn't prepared like I want to be. Apparently some bubba working on the crew repaving streets in the area knocked down a pole around 10:30am yesterday. I got home 7 hours later at...
  7. reefer gladness

** Chiller Sale ** 1 day left !

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Arctica_Titanium_Chiller_1_4_HP_Less_with_a_Built_In_Controller-JBJ_Lighting-JB1111-FICHINQCBC-vi.html MarineDepot sale ends Aug 1. Good chance to get big discount on the 1/10hp or 1/5hp JBJ chiller. It's $140 off the 1/10hp and $216 off the 1/5hp Usually...
  8. reefer gladness

Heater placement and size

Okay, my tank dropped just over 1 degree lower than it should this morning. I have about a 58 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump with about 10-12 gallons in it so figure about 70 gallons total volume. The heater is an Eheim Jager 150W and probably wasn't in the best position being on the...
  9. reefer gladness

Peppermint shrimp survived 9 hours out of water in the cold

I'd had enough of my peppermint shrimp, I originally bought 4 hoping 1 would eat aiptasia in my last tank. One did and wiped out the aiptasia and offed the other 3 peppermint shrimp as well within a few weeks. Soon after he started making meals out of perfectly healthy snails. I dubbed him...
  10. reefer gladness

When life deals you a lemon... propagate!

Several months ago when I moved all my LR and corals from my RSM tank to the current 58g I had a little accident. The piece of rock where the branching hammer coral is attached broke when I was lifting it up from the sandbed while still in the tank. The rock spun over upside down and the...
  11. reefer gladness

just how big can a BTA get in an aquarium?

I know most sources say a 12 inch diameter disc is the max size. Curious if anyone has a BTA that has grown much larger than that? My RBTA has reached a good 12 inches or more at this point and I'm hoping it doesn't split. I feed about 1/2 a silverside per week. Any less than that I can see...
  12. reefer gladness

help with ID please

Anyone know what these little curly-Q things are? They have a hard calcified body, about 3/8" of an inch. At first I though they were harmless filter feeders but I've noticed a few growing in the middle of my favorite zoa colony and they seem to be preventing the nearby zoas from opening.
  13. reefer gladness

Humans Caused Historic Great Barrier Reef Collapse

Humans Caused Historic Great Barrier Reef Collapse | LiveScience
  14. reefer gladness

SPS acro back from the dead

It's not the zombie apocolypse but it is back from the dead ! About 7-8 months ago I really slacked off on testing water parameters, trusting in water changes alone and lost a couple pricey SPS frags. One of them was Vivid's Tri-Color acropora which had lost all color, turned gray and...
  15. reefer gladness

question about Ecotech battery backup

Anyone have an Ecotech battery backup laying around? I'm hoping someone can either respond with the specs on the trickle charger or take a picture of the specs for me. Thanks in advance!
  16. reefer gladness

Fossilized CUC

You never know what you might run across while hiking or even buried in your own backyard. These are a couple of gastropod fossils we collected many years ago from a streambed in the central-Texas area. They've been used as paperweights since so in effect they still help keep the place clean...
  17. reefer gladness

Aqualog

So here's a freeware program for logging and tracking your water parameters. You can also setup reminders for things like waterchanges, replacing bulbs, activated carbon, etc. Nothing fancy but it works well and I've found it very useful over the past year or so. In particular when setting...
  18. reefer gladness

couple videos on the topic of battling nuisance algae and dosing of calc, alk and mag

These videos are from Vivid Aquariums and can be found on their website but they update frequently so here's a direct link to Youtube. I think a lot of common questions on the topic of battling nuisance algae's are answered here. Even if your tank is running great you might learn something...
  19. reefer gladness

Help with worm ID please

Need help with an ID please. Found this under a recently added colony rock.
  20. reefer gladness

Reef Angel Controller

I've had the Reef Angel controller running for about 4 months now and wanted to share my thoughts. First thing I need to say is the Reef Angel controller is definitely not for everyone but it may be right for you if you're a bit of a DIY'er. How so? The Reef Angel is unique among the...