power outage

reefer gladness

So I experienced my first significant power outage, knew it was bound to happen sooner or later but still wasn't prepared like I want to be.

Apparently some bubba working on the crew repaving streets in the area knocked down a pole around 10:30am yesterday. I got home 7 hours later at 5:30pm in complete darkness (thanks to daylight savings) and tried not to panic. Handheld temp probe came in handy and showed temp down to 74.7 from a normal 77.0. Started boiling ice packs while trying to circulate the water in the display tank with a makeshift paddle (algae scraper on extension). Old house with a gas furnace had pilot still lit so I set the house thermostat on 'London broil' to warm up the tank while I continued to stir water all night until my arms were ready to fall off. That was my night yesterday :nopity:

Power finally comes on around 3:30am so I guess that makes 17 hours without power. The two huge RBTA's didn't look that great, one completely closed and the other looked like it was melting. By 6:30am they were coming around and looked better than before. So far, it looks like everything is making a full recovery :fingerx:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
You certainly earned a medal for tank husbandry! Congrats on your hard efforts and for saving your nems!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Time to think about a generator. An investment that might prove priceless in this hobby.
Mine worked GREAT the only time (so far) that I needed to use it.
null_zps1cd79fd6.jpg
[/IMG]

reefle

Thank you for posting. Now I have a slight idea of what to do in the case my power goes out!

reefer gladness

Time to think about a generator. An investment that might prove priceless in this hobby.
null_zps1cd79fd6.jpg
[/IMG]

So true, I very nearly purchased a generator that same night. Home Depot is only 2 miles down the road. Long term plan is to go solar but a backup generator would be good backup to the backup.

Looking into getting one myself this week. This thread is a sign! Have aux power or buy a paddle! lol

Seriously though I think this winter might be tough on some of us. I know the Carolinas are overdue for some bad Winter weather.