Search results

1. sexy frogspawn and hammer

sexy frogspawn and hammer

2. C

Confusion Mag/Alkalinity ?

I bought my 6 stage RO/DI filter from the "Filter Guys" on ebay. You should be able to find one for $80 to $150 (I'm not sure exactly what I paid then but it was around $100). You don't have to have them plumbed into your system. I live in an apartment so that is not an option. Just make...
  3. C

Are you using unfiltered tap water? That is going to cause you major problems down the line. Phosphates are usually high in tap water and there could be some other bad stuff in there too. At the very least you will be looking at big time algae problems down the road. You might want to look...
  4. C

N's still too high....loosing patience...

Stupid question here. When you guys say "cubes", what exactly do you mean? Are you talking the cubes of prepackaged frozen food or full on cubes out of an ice tray? I use rods food so it doesn't really apply to me but I was just curious.
  5. C

For testing Ca, Alk, and Mag I've found using salifert tests to be a bit more reliable than the API tests. It sounds like you're already doing all the main tests you should be doing (minus the Alk and Mag of course) so you have a good head start. You should head to the chemistry section of...
  6. C

Looking For Someone To Hold My Little Hand......

Also for the cooling problem try going with the clip on fans first. You'll save yourself a lot of money and you'd be suprised how much they can cool a tank. Probably a good idea to have a descent ato also to handle the extra evaporation though. Otherwise go for a 1/10hp chiller if you're...
  7. C

Looking For Someone To Hold My Little Hand......

I wouldn't worry too much about the 150w frying LPS. If you acclimate them right they should do just fine. I have a number of euphyllias and duncans very high in my tank directly under 150w halides (phoenix 14k with actinics) and they have been doing great. I have acans about half way down...
  8. C

Eunice worm problems

Thanks again cbrownfish. I'll definitely post some pictures when I get this guy out. With all the headaches he's caused I'm thinking of getting him stuffed and mounted on the wall!
  9. C

Eunice worm problems

Thanks for the replies everyone. lcstorc - He seems to be isolated to one rock in the bottom middle of the tank. He has at least 3 specific holes that he comes out of (usually from under the rock). I have only seen him on the bottom. He definitely has made a home there. As far as losing...
  10. C

Aquascaping, cleaning gravel, and livestock ?'s

How big of a tank do you have? I'd be worried that adding that much live rock to an already established tank could cause a mini cycle to happen. Otherwise for cleaning sand I like nassarius and cerith snails (and maybe a fighting conch or 2). Also scarlet hermits are the least aggressive of...
  11. C

Eunice worm problems

Hi all. I've been fighting a eunice worm in my tank for some time now. So far it's been a pretty one sided fight. The little *#@! has evaded every attempt to catch him and he has eaten quite a few of my zoas (and seriously angered my open brain). I've tried numerous traps and have staked him...
  12. C

Another stocking list

Hi all. I just had a power outage disaster over the weekend while out of town. All fish and shrimp have died and I have lost some corals (doing massive water changes to save the rest). Anyways I thought I'd look to the positive and think about what fish to get next (once everything is back to...
  13. C

Open brain behavior

Thanks for the advice all. I had had the brain on the far side of the tank for months (though not exactly under shade). Unfortunately I have a eunice worm over there that was trying to make a snack of the brain :flaming: ! Anyways I guess the move from indirect to direct sun (halides) was...
  14. C

Open brain behavior

Hi all. I have a red and green open brain that I moved from a shady spot of my tank to a brighter spot a little over a week ago. I have noticed that it is now becoming more transparent (or fading not sure the right term). The polyp extension is still great and other than the color change it is...
  15. C

G!N+T0N!k's 75g wave front 25g s/r chronicle

Holy cow that's terrible!! That's my worst nightmare. So sorry for your' loss dude.
  16. C

Pushing the stocking limits

Wow, 4 fish in a 10 gal. How big did they get before things got bad?
  17. C

Pushing the stocking limits

Hi all. Most of us know the stocking rule of 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of water (or even 1in/3 gallons). I was wondering who among us out there actually bends or breaks this rule with success (and of course please share failures too). If you have had success, why do you think it's worked...
  18. C

duncan placment?

I have to agree with snelly. They'll adapt to almost any condition. I have mine pretty high up under MH with moderate to high flow and they're doing great. I love seeing the mat of tentacles whipping around in the high current.
  19. C

A look at Mooch's 39 gallon Experiment

Hey there Mooch. The oscillating return will jam quite a bit. I don't even use mine anymore because I got tired of cleaning it every few days. To get it working again just remove it and try rinsing it out. If it still isn't working then get a pair of pliers and carefully pull the back end...
  20. C

Varga's 300 Gallon In-Wall Build!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm down in Kent so Barrier Reef is this closest LFS to me (works out well). I usually go to them or the folks out in Issaquah.