A look at Mooch's 39 gallon Experiment

thelastmucci

Well all I got in the first shipment was the two rocks. I don't know if I should break em up or not seeing as how they have some really cool caves. I should be getting more(about 40 lbs more if I'm figuring right) and then I"ll aquascape that for sure.

Test Results for 7/9
Ammonia (nh3/nh4) 1.2
NitrAtes (no3) 10
Calcium (CA) 320
NitrItes (NO2) .3
PH 7.9

I didn't do a test on Gh or KH b/c the kit that I got said only freshwater. But I thought about it today and thought maybe I can just test the water before it goes in to the tank....thought comments?

Also I'm slightly concerned about the CA level. If I'm going to have corals I need that to be in the 420 range or so. Anythoughts on what to add if anything or should I let er be.

PH...you all know I have a serious problem with it being below 8.1 only be/c thats what the bulk of livestock/corals should be in. I'm doing a 20% water change tonight so maybe that will boost er up.

Do you guys think I should break up the rock to make for more rock to aquascape with..personally I like the two big rocks as one a "base" and I think I can build upon those two...just my two cents. Talk to you all later.

Gary I was acutally sleeping when you said to get up. I stayed up literally all night b/c I just can't seem to sleep at night anymore. The morning/afternoon is much better for me..and honestly I don't even get a headache if I sleep like that. I guess I'm a third shifter

Nikki coming from you that means allot...how is the HA doing.

B your right not much to do with that much rock but I'll figure something out.

rlcline76

I would pick up a cheap copy of Tullock's Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium...I know you are tired of reading, but certain things you will grab for constantly.

I could tell ya what I would do, but I will have Barb tell you what she did and I want you to listen to her closely.

Aquascaping...plenty of time for that, see what you get in the next shipment!

glampka

Aquascaping...plenty of time for that, see what you get in the next shipment!

Probably will get 2 more rocks of 20 lbs each. Aquascaping won't take more than 5 minutes. :smck:

Mooch, try some of that Tylenol PM stuff to help you sleep. The wife swears by the stuff.

JWarren

Muc,

I wouldn't worry about the pH too much right now. Just let the Ammonia and Nitrites get to zero first. You start adding a bunch of stuff right now to alter their amounts and you may prolong your startup cycle agony. Just let it ride!

Busting up the rocks is going to be personal choice. Your the one that has to look at it everyday. If you do bust it up do it over plastic and use a 2x4 on the rock then hit the 2x4 wth the hammer. Don't put no metal on your rock and throw all the pieces in the tank as well.

thelastmucci

thanks guys...I will look into that tylenol PM stuff gary...

J: I honestly like the way it looks right now...I"ll have to see what I get for my final shipment to know whether to break it up or not.

BarbMazz

Anthony, if you want smaller rocks with Part 2 email Richard and tell him that. He'll happily comply!

Please don't take the rocks out and bash them.... I'm just sayin'.. the air time would be VERY bad for the life in/on the rocks.

As far as cycling, with my Package I never had any raised ammonia. Never needed to do a water change! I measured ammonia levels twice per day as per Richard's instructions and was ready to do changes, but I never had a measurable amount. I did not test for trItes or trAtes either, just ammonia.

Just measure your basic ammonia and ignore the rest of it right now.

I had such good luck following Richard's advice and instructions that if I were you, I trust it, too. Good luck!

thelastmucci

Barb: I read the instructions as richard supplied on the sheet of paper. I knew that you had a tiny if any cycle. Unfortunitely I think all the feathers in that colony are dead causing my tank to spike ammonia. No big deal I'll do the changes. As far as the rock goes I'll tell him to include smaller pieces when I order the second batch. Thanks for all the advice Barb.

thelastmucci

Hey Barb when you got your LR in the first shipment was it "jumbo pieces too"

Chris: Question my osc. return nozzle isn't oscillating...did you have this problem if so how/if did you fix it. Its returning the water just no osc.

Becky I think I told you this already but thanks for the heads up on the book.

Also to everyone that sent me well wishes today many thanks. It's friends like you guys that keep me going...one foot in front of the other.

BarbMazz

Part 1 is supposed to be your "base rock".. the stuff in Part 2 will have more life on it, and it's definitely more decorative. You can sink the two rocks you have into the sand, if you haven't already. Stare at them for awhile.. you may find a creative way to situate them.

Wait til you see Part 2! Very fun. You will feel as though you're working a fire drill on that day, though... it's very hectic getting the cuc acclimated and all the extra goodies Richard will send.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would pick up a cheap copy of Tullock's Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium...I know you are tired of reading, but certain things you will grab for constantly.
Wow! I am impressed! Your the first person i have seen recomend John Tullock. I have learned a lot from his writings.

chunky

Hey there Mooch. The oscillating return will jam quite a bit. I don't even use mine anymore because I got tired of cleaning it every few days. To get it working again just remove it and try rinsing it out. If it still isn't working then get a pair of pliers and carefully pull the back end off. Then you can pull the inner workings out and clean them well.

thelastmucci

thanks chris...didn't even come to that..I just took the head off...put it back on took the runner piece that is over the lockline off....did that bout 30 times and it was all set...something probably wasn't sitting right.

thelastmucci

OK gang...I've got some things to do then I'm going out for the night...shouldn't be out too late (well for me anyway) I'll do testing and what not when I get back and post some pics too. Have fun while I'm gone.

lcstorc

Just caught up. Everything is looking great. Can't wait for that second shipment. Then you will start with the big fun.
I would not break those rocks. They are gorgeous just as they are. Build around and ontop of them and you will love having the caves and arches.

thelastmucci

Thanks Lynn..by the way guys..I'm doing a water change today..I'll post parameters after that...I"ve been kinda busy.

Honestly I know I screwed up...I wasn't diligent enough about my water changes and that's why my water smells like low tide right now. I picked up a snail yesterday (one that I took a pic off but never posted) The thing was just all sorts of gross and disgusting. Smelled terrible too. But I'll do my water change today...hopefully it won't be too bad.

rlcline76

Wow! I am impressed! Your the first person i have seen recomend John Tullock. I have learned a lot from his writings.

I think I started in this hobby reading RH Farley like most people, that is some decent reading, too. But for some reason, I think Tullock is a bit easier to read...seems to keep to the KISS Method (Keep It Simple, Stupid). I took 2 years of chemistry in college and only now do I have a better understanding...not perfect, but enough to get by.