Open brain behavior

chunky

Hi all. I have a red and green open brain that I moved from a shady spot of my tank to a brighter spot a little over a week ago. I have noticed that it is now becoming more transparent (or fading not sure the right term). The polyp extension is still great and other than the color change it is acting normal. So my question is, is the brain bleaching or just adapting to the increased light? I figure that if it were bleaching the coral wouldn't be extending as much but I'm still a relative newby here so I thought check with you guys before it became too late to move it back if need be.

BEELZEBOB

did it go from shade to like FULL SUN!?!

a lil at a time buuuuuuuuuddddy.

to much of a difference at once can be detramential.

Heliux

Bob is correct on this, its harmful to most corals to make that sudden of a change so what i would say is either find a way to dispurse the light going to the coral, or move it back into the shade and slowly move it into the reach of direct light.

What kind of lights are you using?
Pictures would be wonderful!

lix:D

Heliux

As my mother always says "Slow and steady wins the race". Also i looked up your problem, closed the window before i got the link but it is a sudden change in light making it look bleached. Just do it slowly, maybe put something over your tank where the brain coral is that dampens the light.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
is the brain bleaching or just adapting to the increased light?

It is bleaching trying to adapt to the sudden increase in light. Many of the Open Brain sp. come from deep water and don't do well under intense light and can take several months to adjust. I would suggest you place it back in the shade and move it slowly so it can slowly acclimate to the increase in light. What type of lighting are you using and how many watts ? What are the dimensions of the tank ? Where is it loacated in the tank ?

chunky

Thanks for the advice all. I had had the brain on the far side of the tank for months (though not exactly under shade). Unfortunately I have a eunice worm over there that was trying to make a snack of the brain :flaming: ! Anyways I guess the move from indirect to direct sun (halides) was enough to stress the brain out. I'm trying to figure out the best solution while I'm worm hunting (that thing has to die!). I'll probably just make some artificial shade for it.