Search results

1. rmlevasseur

Desjardini tang

I have one of these guys that I introduced a few month ago. It has always been my understanding that these guys like lots of green, but mine doesn't seem to touch the nori when I add it. I do feed flake spirulina flake occasionally, but I'm worried he's not getting enough. He wolfs down...
  2. rmlevasseur

MN dealer Something Fishy A++++

Just wanted to put a plug in for this Twin Cities area dealer (Minnesota) - Something Fishy. These guys sold me an Oceanic Tech tank at a great price, and delivered it to me over 2 hours away and only charged me $50 for the delivery - about the cost of gas. They even brought it into my...
  3. rmlevasseur

RO Problems

I noticed that my TDS was creeping up, and its been over a year since I've changed membranes, so I purchased a new one, identical to the one it replaced. I'm on well water, which has a TDS around 500. When the RO was new, I could get down to around 2 without DI and 0 with DI. I changed all...
  4. rmlevasseur

Solaris Power Supplies

Just wanted Solaris owners to know that one of my ballasts failed, and I successfully modified an Antec 500 watt power supply ($40) to replace it. Very psyched to have accomplished this, and it wasn't very hard at all. Feel free to PM if anyone has a failed ballast (and you will) and needs help.
  5. rmlevasseur

Need help moving derasa

I have a derasa that attached to a rock than needs to be moved. My BTA is brushing against it, causing him to close up. What is the best way to remove him w/o doing too much damage?
  6. rmlevasseur

Heteractis Magnifica

Is anyone on this site successfully keeping a magnifica?
  7. rmlevasseur

Mystery Wrasse

I 'm thinking abouit adding one of these to my reef tanks. Any input on these guys? Will he kill my blood red or fight with my 6-line? thanks all!
  8. rmlevasseur

Who is keeping an anthias harem?

I'm curious who is keeping a harem and how long they've been together. I'm think about adding a small school to my 180, but it seems people aren't able to keep them long. Any advice?
  9. rmlevasseur

Blood red shrimp and torch coral

I had a very large torch coral in my tank. A month or so ago I had a minor crash, and I noticed my torch wasn't looking so good. Two weeks ago I decided to frag it when I noticed I had lost a head to brown jelly. I'm happy to say that all the frags survived, and the tank has 100% recovered...
  10. rmlevasseur

Favia Question:

I have a fist-size favia that was heavily damaged a few months ago when I upgraded sumps. 95% of the heads melted away, but I see there are 5 heads or polyps left and they appear to be growing back. I'm curious if the new heads will eventually grop back over the old skeleton or if I be better...
  11. rmlevasseur

Does your jawfish love the night life?

My bsjf stays in his hole all day, except to grab food. But at night he has this same routine of constantly swimming back and forth from his hole to the top corner of the tank and back. Anyone else notice that behavior? Its like he's getting his exercise after being cramped up in his hole all...
  12. rmlevasseur

Solaris Owners Attention

The buzz is that PFO may have pulled the plug on the Solaris, and may be out of biz altogether. I myself tried calling several times this morning and no one ever picked up. I wanted to call myself several times before spreading any rumors. This could be bad news. As a Solaris owner I've...
  13. rmlevasseur

Refugium sandbed?

After my sump tear down I am ready to add back my fuge. When I removed it for the new sump, I threw out all the old sand. It was just easier and I didn't want to risk a new cycle with it. Its basically a low flow 30 gallon with an overflow that feads back to the return section of the sump...
  14. rmlevasseur

Brown jelly ID/ question

If you read a recent thread of mine, you know I added a new sump this last weekend and in the process I really disturbed my tank. The water is almost back to normal, but I did a lot of damage to several of my corals. I have a very large show-piece frogspawn, probably 50 heads. The froggie...
  15. rmlevasseur

Help! TFE paste?

I just replumbed in a huge new sump, and I have to say I did a crappy job of transitioning. My corals are in distress but my fish seem fine. I heard TFE paste was reef safe on pipe fittings, but I have water that is cloudy and not clearing. I may have just made a huge mistake. Anybody use...
  16. rmlevasseur

new cone skimmer!

Well I bit the bullet and purchased the new cone skimmer w/ askoll pump from SWC. It can be run internal or external. Can't wait!
  17. rmlevasseur

White Pom Xenia for sale

I cut tons of this out of my main tank and its thriving in the fuge. Nice size pieces, and appears to be very hardy, although xenia is a known poor shipper (why I have no idea!) $20+ shipping - I gotta recoup the rock a little. Will be 10+ stalks per rock. Larger pieces also available. PM...
  18. rmlevasseur

How can you tell which circulation pumps use less juice when gated down?

Need a smaller circ pump to replace and old Quiet One IIRC, but want a little more power than I have now so will want to gate it down.
  19. rmlevasseur

Circ pump question

I need a slightly stonger replacement for an old school QuietOne IIRC. How can you tell which pumps use less juice when gated down?
  20. rmlevasseur

Purple Tang and a friend

I'd like to add another Tang to my tank, but worried about agression from my Purple. Any suggestion on whether I can add another one, and if so any recommendations for what type would be most likely to get along? thanks