Purple Tang and a friend

rmlevasseur

I'd like to add another Tang to my tank, but worried about agression from my Purple. Any suggestion on whether I can add another one, and if so any recommendations for what type would be most likely to get along? thanks

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What size tank ? I would opt for a Tang of a different Genus either Acanthurus or Ctenochaetus but make sure the new addition is larger and in robust condition so it can withstand the initial aggression.

nikkipigtails

if you have enough room for a tang, go for it.

definately go with a tang from a different family and one that's much larger than the one you have. powder blues are kind of aggressive.

lcstorc

I've had success adding tangs of the same size but different genus. I would definitely not add a smaller one or one of the same genus unless it is a very very large tank.

rmlevasseur

its a 180. The Purple was hostile to my occelaris when they were in there, but no other fish. I agree a different genus is the way to go. Anyone mixing a Purple with another Tang?

Snelly40

i have seen them mixed, but as said above, get ready for a beatdown at first!!!!!

i have seen them with a hippo with little agression

nikkipigtails

yeah, there is a blue hippo and a purple together in the 180 at the store i used to work at, but the hippo got a smackdown from the purple first.

i'd still look into the powder blue.

faust

in the 175 we have 12" vlaminngii, 10" sailfin , 8" hippo and a 8' regal tang these were in it when it was given to us. when my 80 gl tank crashed i had no choice but to rush my 2 yellows and scopa all about 4 inch to the 175 along with other survivors. for 3 days the damn regal terrorized the three of them. once the pecking order was established it stopped as fast as it started. i will say it got so bad the first day i stayed the night at my wives office to keep the peace
these are some old pics right after we moved it to he office
IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg