zoos wont open

VoodooChld

hello,
I have a colony of zoos I got a couple of weeks ago. they were open when i first got them but then I moved them lower in the tank because I have 2x MH 150w 14k lights on my 47 bowfront. and I thought they might be getting too much light but now they wont open. I moved them about 3 days ago and a couple of them will open but the vast majority stay closed. Should I put them back or do you think they need more time? thanks alot

Vanquish

VoodooChld said:
I dip'd 'em and they seem to be doing alot better. should i repeat if needed?

did you notice anything while dipping?? Could have been nudis on the zoos, resulting in them not opening... the FW dip helped in removing some of the nudis which is feasting on the zoos... :)

suggest you observe the zoos for a while, do the dip only if parts of it still refuse to open... and watch out the other zoos you may have as they could be infected...

I normally FW dip any new colony of zoos before it goes into my tank... :)

VoodooChld

what is a nudi? a type of slug or something? but no I did not see anything. But the zoos were closed for like a week and now the have a little algae growing on them and those wont open. all the others now open. I ordered some "red slime away" hopefully this will kill the micro growing on the closed zoos. thanks

Vanquish

VoodooChld said:
what is a nudi? a type of slug or something? but no I did not see anything. But the zoos were closed for like a week and now the have a little algae growing on them and those wont open. all the others now open. I ordered some "red slime away" hopefully this will kill the micro growing on the closed zoos. thanks

nudis are considered pest as they can kill a rock of zoos... it takes a trained eye to see them... as sometimes they can be camoflaged within the zoos... there are other pests that can be detrimental to zoos like the sundial snails & zoos eating spiders... :(

Mos of the time, a 3-5 minutes fresh water dip can kill these pests and do keep a lookout for the sundial snails...

Pic borrow from zoaid.com
main.php

If the pic is not allowed here, can the Mods kindly have it removed? thanks!

Warnberg

A freash water dip will NOT kill nudi eggs, you must pick them off. Look for Zoo Dip in these forums and try it....

VoodooChld

do you think I should place them closer to the top of the tank? I have 2x MH 150w on a 47 bow front. right now they are more at the bottom of the tank. and they are a "sea mat"

Vanquish

VoodooChld said:
do you think I should place them closer to the top of the tank? I have 2x MH 150w on a 47 bow front. right now they are more at the bottom of the tank. and they are a "sea mat"

Shouldn't be a problem at the bottom... they need light, but dun need high light... :)