zoos on a snail

freezerrat

Yesterday I found a clump of corals in the upper corner of my tank. I pulled them off and found they are attached to a snail. He is completely covered and the zoos are mature. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm thinking of getting a super small nano just to keep it.

goldenmean

That is a slow moving snail or a fast groing zoanthid.
I have had a feather duster on an Astrea snail

freezerrat

it's weird. It had to come in on zoanthid covered rock i got about a month ago. I can't believe i didn't notice it before unless this is the first time it moved. It's not small. I counted 15 polyps.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've seen a crab (Decorator Crab) do this intentionally but Zoas .. not yet.. you DO realize we require pics of this.. I mean REALLY! that's got to look COOL!

freezerrat

A reef buddy o fmine had a thought about this. He said he has seen snails leave their shell and "wander". Maybe that is what happened and it took a liking this one that was empty. Anyway...... I'll get some pics. It would be better if you could post video. Hey, maybe I'll do Youtube.

michael_cb_125

Snails cannot leave their shells. The shell grows with the snail for its entire life.
Are you sure it is a snail and not a hermit crab?
~Michael

t_j

Well I thought if you guys wanted to see a picture of one I had one of a crab. I got the shell with the zoa's on it and glued it to a rock but it fell off so my crab thought it would jump in. When I first saw it I was wonding what was going on until I got closer to the tank and saw what happened it was so funny!!

DSC01838.jpg