Zoos not opening?

jcoopergd

Howdy everyone -

quick question - my zoos havent been opening up lately - dont know why - all the parameters are in check (ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0, trates >10) salinity and ph havent changed since the tank started -

they were getting shaded and crowded by a overgrowing xenia, which i have since pruned -

they have gotton full light for the last 5 + days, but still no opening -
also, when i pruned back the xenia, i cut some rubble that was encrusted with the zoos. Could i have damaged the base? niether the zoo frag, or the original colony are opening much at all.

or, could it be chemical warefare from the xenia? i havent run carbon, cause i didnt think about it until i was driving into work today, so ill put some in tonight, but other than that im at a loss..

j

corvettephreek

i would run rinsed carbon for a couple days or so just in case, but most likely it is just getting used to the lighting change. now that it sees the light better, it is getting itself used to the direct lighting. good luck!!!

Warnberg

Look very closley at your zoo colony, look for small white bunches or even slug looking things (nudi's)... if you see one dip all your zoos, cause where there is one there is more. My zoo's did the same thing and one day I notice this little nudi on them, he actually was just about the same color as the zoo colony he was on. Well after 4 weeks of fighting these little guys, picking eggs off and dipping 3 times over a 5 week period, adding a 6 line, my nudi issue is now gone.

Another thing that will make them close up is something else disturbing them, like a clown rubbing on them, I have also see a change in water flow (too much) will cause a colony to stay closed for extended periods of time.

One last thing (corvettphreak), most of the time an increase in light has had the opposite effect on my zoo's, them seem to stay open longer even when disturbed with brighter lights.

This is just some observations I have made with my zoo's

Good luck

JMO...

jcoopergd

Ive been looking for pest, nudi or whatever, and havent seen them - i hope it doesnt get to the dipping stage, as they are grown onto a large piece of LR at the bottom of my LR structure...(cross fingers)...

water flow hasn't changed...but ill have to look closer tonight..

thanks for the input -

j

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I don't think it is chemical warfare with the xenia. At one time or another, I have had xenia touching every type of coral and it has never bothered the other coral.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I agree with Doni Xenia are harmless...do you have any Dwarf Angels ? What type of lighting do you have ? How long have the Zoa's been in the tank ? I agree corvettephreek probably just them adjusting.

jcoopergd

Been in the tank for about 8 months - originaly 4 polyps, now about 50-60.....my thought on the xenia was because i had to cut them in the tank, maybe some type of chemical there?

no drawf angles (had a flame angle for about 4 months, but he started nipping my clam, so he went back to the LFS)...

lighting = 192 watt PC....what is the life cycle on the lights? they are about 10 months old....

but all the other corals are looking great..

j

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I replace my PC bulbs between 9-12 months of age. Add some fresh carbon incase it's chemical related, and it wouldn't hurt to clean your bulbs (vinegar is great at removing salt spray).

Have you added any new rocks or corals that could have introduced zoa eating nudis?

jcoopergd

hmm...well, they still havent opened to there full glory - but there are getting better....there has been no new additions in the last 6 months....and no sign of anything crawling on them (phew!).....ive put some resonated carbon in, and we'll see how that goes....

:)

j

RanRoc

could've been anyone of those things listed. Mine are very sensitive to lighting changes (even replacing bulbs). Sometimes they don't open for a week or more after light change. Like Witfull said, I'm also glad they are getting there.
-RY

sandman3467

At nine months i've noticed a spectral shift within the PC bulbs.Well actually a friend of mine and some expensive spectral equipment.Running PC Bulbs 8hrs a day, 7 days a week will start affecting the phosphorous inside the bulbs after about the start of the second week of the ninth month.So I have been replacing bulbs after every nine months as not to dissrupt the spectral shift of the light.Hope it helps..... :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Good info sandman. Thanks! That is what I have read also. I also believe that the actinics shift much faster than the normal daylight pc's.