zoos melting NEED HELP

i just got about 50 frags of zoos, lots of high color stuff. for some reason they are slow vanishing. i have a 75 with 250s on it. they are in the upper half of the tank on frag racks. they are slowly withering away. does anyone have the bookmark for the zoanthid writeup done not too long ago. i had it but lost it. also does anyone have any ideas. i spend about 450 on these frags so i really dont wanna lose them.

they are about 18 inches from the light. they have done great up until now. i have been battleing zoa pox and won so far but these are just melting. the ones that are doing good are blowing up but then there are the ones that just seem to be SICK in a sense

yvr

If you haven't already, you can try giving the zooanthids a bath with an Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully kill prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis. I also think that zooanthids benefit from elevated iodine levels in the tank at around .06ppm. Be sure to test for supplements that you add to your tank.

tbone71788

when i changed my lights to mh lights some of my zoas started to melt... the ones i could move down started getting better pretty fast... the ones i couldn move down melted away completely... maybe where ever they came form didnt have them under mh or not so colse to the light... hope they get better

these were under mh 250 20ks, i have them under 10k 175 and a 250 14k as of now. im very perplexed at what is going on. i know some of them have zoa pox but i have been dipping them and i got some lugols to start dipping them as well

to me this is a seems like a case of them not taking as frags and/or not surviving shipment.

they were doomed before they got in your tank is my guess, unless you run unusual pH or alkalinity, which is about all i could see affecting them this rapidly and completley

to me this is a seems like a case of them not taking as frags and/or not surviving shipment.

they were doomed before they got in your tank is my guess, unless you run unusual pH or alkalinity, which is about all i could see affecting them this rapidly and completely, or you could have those zoa eating nudibranch parasites...

so far most of them are ok , just some of them didnt make it. im making some small changes to alk. now running about 3.5 or 12 dkh. they have looked alot better since raising the alk. maybe that is the problem or maybe i still need to be schooled somewhat ? LOL

ReefNMadness

I don't know if anyone has really figured out the zoa melting thing. I have seen very experienced reefers lose zoas to melting so don't feel bad. I had two large colonies that I had for a long time completely melt away while other polyps right next to them were doing fine. :/ so sad. Glad to hear yours are looking better!

thats sorta the same thing going on here. seems the next door neighbors house burnt down and didnt bother either neighbor on the sides. so i put my 175 on and am waiting to see if a little less light helps. my 2 40s will be up and running in the next few days so im pretty stocked they will get their own tank