Zoos getting killed by my LED's!

JurisHP

I'm hoping to get some good advice from the group. I have a 180g mixed reef tank. My parameters are where they should be and are very stable. I'm a HUGE Zoa fan, but for the life of me, I can't keep them thriving! I've determined that my lighting is the culprit (3 Radion XR30 Pro's). I've fried so many colonies and it's killing me (and them!). Can anyone who has a similar set-up share their lighting program so I can stop frying my Zoas? I'd be very grateful. I control the lights via apex (not ESL), and Ecotech's Coral Labs are of no benefit! Help!

DaveK

First off do a test. Put a zoa colony in the shade and see if it makes a difference. Build a small cave or overhang and try the zoa there. If it thrives in that location, then your correct and it's getting way too much light. If it still dies, your problem is someplace else.

You haven't told us much about your tank, so it's hard to diagnose your problems. Pictures of the tank and sump and so on can help a lot. Also, telling us "My parameters are where they should be and are very stable", doesn't convey any information. What may seem good to you might indicate a problem to someone else. Also, we don't know what you tested. For example if you didn't test calcium, we can't tell if it's abnormal.

erick85

I'm running metal halide, but switching to led soon. I've heard that most led put out more par than most corals can handle. not sure how much power you're sending to your bulbs, but I've been told that most led systems only need 30-60% of their full power.

DaveK

I'm running metal halide, but switching to led soon. I've heard that most led put out more par than most corals can handle. not sure how much power you're sending to your bulbs, but I've been told that most led systems only need 30-60% of their full power.

This really depends upon the individual reef. To give you an example, I have a 125 gal reef and use four AI Hydra 52's on it. I set them to about 80% max. Even so most of my corals are soft corals. One of the nice things about LEDs is that you can dial them back if it's too much or you add new corals that are not use to the higher light.