Zooanthids melting??

Michael_Lambert

Hello,

Over the last month i have issues with my Zooanthids just disapearing for no reason, I have been watching them and i can not see anything eatting them.. But it seems as though they are melting away, They where all open up fine before.. now i see and alot seem to be closed up, and then slowly disapearing, I did notice a while ago a White stringy websih materal on one but i did a Freshwater dip and it cleared up that. Do you have any idea what could be doing this? Or any ideas of what i could do to possible help solve it, Do you think a Dip with Luogols would help? and if so how much should i to? how much luogols to water mixture.

Thanks a million.
Michael

Curtswearing

It sounds like you have Beggiatoa. If so, it's a royal pain and will spread throughout the entire colony.

Here's some info from Borneman

It is often visible as white filaments or webs, occasionally becoming like mats or paste as the colony increases in density. Beggiatoa are gliding filamentous bacteria that tend to form cottony colonies or mats at interfaces between aerobic and anaerobic zones in terrestrial, freshwater, and marine environments.

Not only would I do a dip, I would frag off the good polyps and throw the rest away including the rock.

Michael_Lambert

Crap..

ARe you serious... lol, Damit.. See you would have to see the rocks.. I mean we are talking about 2 colonies.. that are on 5-6 pound Peices of rock.. we are talking alike over 3 - 4 hundred polyps per Colony!..

Michael_Lambert

You can see what i mean in this image..

in the green Zoos there, you can see the White crap just kind of sprouting out !
659Morezoos.JPG