Zoo Med Power Sweep 228

1mtnbkr

I want to add some additional flow to my tank. I liked these because of the ocillation feature. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
These might be good for a very small nano. The GPH is very low (200 gph?? ) and would not make a difference in a large tank.

BoomerD

Never tired one myself, but the reports are that they quit sweeping fairly quickly, mostly from coralline algae build-up. You have to take them apart pretty frequently to prevent that. NOT sure if the internal gearing gets damaged when that happens or not.

panmanmatt

The sweeping motion is a short lived feature. I have used a couple of them when I first started the hobby, 6 months was the longest I could keep one swiveling. I'd go with one of the new Hydor Koralia pumps, they have great flow and are very reasonably priced.

DaveK

I purchased 4 Zoo Med powersweeps about 4 or 5 years ago. While the idea is nice, the product is junk. In only a couple of months the sweep feature quit working. If I cleaned that part of the power head it would work for only a few days.

Then after about 6 months the motors went on me. Today I don't use them, and they have gone to "the great aquarium in the sky". In other words, I threw them out.

Save your money and get something excecellent.

If money is no object the Tunze Stream pumps running on their mulitcontroller are excellent. They are also extremely expensive.

Works like a champ in F/W, but In salt no good. It took 1 week and the power sweep stopped working. After washing It out it would work again for another week. GARBAGE

InLimbo87

Yeah I would have to agree with others in that they don't work for salt water. I had initially gotten one for my first 6 gallon setup, and it started freezing up the day I put it in. Cool idea though, wish there was a decent PH maker that would come up with a sweeping style one.