Zoo eating pods

claudiabkr

Help! Last night I noticed a swarm of pods crawling all over one of the zoo rocks. This morning about a dozen zoo polyps are gone. My tank is only 4 months old and its infested with pods. They're in the sand, rocks, even the filter cartridge. This is the first time I've noticed them eating anything other than detrius, so I'm a bit shocked. The zoo rock only has 6 polyps left and of course it was the cool orange ones. Any suggestions?

Claudia
Eclipse 15, stock filter, 40w 50/50 pc, 20 lbs Fiji LR, 20 lbs LS, ocellaris clown, blue/green chromis, astrea snails, blue and red leg hermits, tiger cowrie snail, sally lightfoot crab, multiple zoos, pumping xenia, frogspawn, candy cane, cabbage coral, metallic green open brain

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hummm... I would look VERY closely to make sure you don't have tiny nudibranches eating the zoas...they will be very hard to see. Take the zoa colony out and do a fresh water dip (matching the temp and ph). You will see the nudi's fall off.

I have a dozen different zoa colonies and my large pod population does not bother them.

ScottT1980

Typically pods eat decaying matter, meaning that some other culprit more than likely contributed to the initial decline of your zoanthids. I suspect either a nudibranch, a snail, or a bacterial infection of some sort. I would frag out the healthy portion of the colony and get it as far away from the necrotic portion as is possible...

Take er easy
Scott T.

claudiabkr

I did siphon out 3 tiny pink nudis over several days last week. They had been gnawing on the cabbage coral and the poor thing looked all wilted but looks better now. On closer inspection of the cabbage, I found 5 clear round things with tentacles that have white on the ends. Kind of like jellyfish, but I'm not sure. They don't move, just sit there. I also found a small clam that doesn't have a colored mantle, but does open and close.

I did a fresh water dip of the zoo, but didn't see anything fall out. I'm hoping the rest of the colony will remain healthy.

Claudia
Eclipse 15, stock filter, 40w 50/50 pc, 20 lbs Fiji LR, 20 lbs LS, ocellaris clown, blue/green chromis, astrea snails, blue and red leg hermits, tiger cowrie snail, sally lightfoot crab, multiple zoos, pumping xenia, frogspawn, candy cane, cabbage coral, metallic green open brain

If the clear round things look like little doghnuts with tiny white dots inside they are nudi egg sacks and need to be removed.

claudiabkr

Well I'm bummed. :tears: The pods ate all but 3 of my orange zoo polyps and half of the alien eyes. I haven't seen any more nudis since I siphoned those 3 out. My cabbage coral also has some bleached spots on it and hasn't extended it's polyps in over a week. Is there hope for what's left?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:( Keep looking for nudis and remove them... You probably have more in your tank.

Jiddy

PODS dont eat zoo's, either your not talkin about pods or there is a culprit hidin about, buy a cave helmet or use a flashlight with a red lens and spy on them at night, that is probably when this is happenin. Also, since you have a good pod population, i would rec a Mandarin, they will eat pods are impressive fish to have! HTH -Jidz