Zoidberg the Cuttlefish!

Hey everybody!

Its been a while since I have been here, my tank has been down and out but over the last month I have finally pieced it back together again! So here is the story!

I set up my tank, a 24 gallon nano, with nothing specific in mind, a few corals a few fish blah blah something to look at on the ole desk. I had wanted to keep a species specific tank for a while and was really interested in keeping a peacock mantis but due to the tank being glass I was advised against it.

So as I was adding corals and getting my tank ready for....I dunno, whatever. I noticed that my LFS, which I hadn't visited in a while, had cuttlefish! Two of them tank raised!

So after talking to the fish guru at the store he said i should be able to keep it just fine, monitoring water as regularly as possible.

I didn't want to post right away in case this whole thing turned out horrible and he died instantly but he has been in the tank for a little over two weeks and seems very happy!

So let me introduce you!

IMG_0121.jpg

Casa de Zoidberg

IMG_0120.jpg

Camera shy, can you see him?

IMG_0123.jpg

Coming out to play

He is really amazing and so much fun to watch, his camoflauging is incredible. He is about an inch and a half long and should grow to close to four inches at full size. He eats live still ghost shrimp and crabs but im working to get him on frozen soon.

I hope to put up some more pictures, better ones to since those are just cell phone pics and hopefully some video of him camoflauging/eating!

But I wanted you all to meet him!

Emg

Very cool !

Best of luck with him YSW ! If they're anything like an octopus, you were certainly be entertained ! Pretty intelligent for such small smooshie critters.

SeahorseBT

I considered keeping them for a while. I rescued a cuttle from my LFS, it had hatched in the bag and when they are that small they eat live mysis and amphipods. I had lots but I ran out and he died after me having him for 2 weeks. He was really cool.

Zoidberg, great name, he is my fav character on futurama. Awesome fish.

DAHansen

Awesome animal! Do they require the same type of security an octopus would require, or are they generally less of an escape artist?