Zoas spreading!

jake9015

Hi guys I purchased a huge colony of zoas the other week and they are already spreading I find new polyps everyday in random places of the tank! I will be fragging soon and was wondering how to do it? Any info would help. I say a couple more months and my tank will be taken over!

Luukosian

Either chip a piece of rock they are on off or just scrape some off and get them to attach to something. Ussually for soft coral I'll just use a rubberband to attach them to whatever substrate I want 'em on(plug, rubble, etc.) then wait until they attach themselves. There are a few other ways but I find the rubberband the easiest. I don't frag a whole lot so if you are going to do a bunch of frags it might be easier to try another method.

tnwillia

If your not in a hurry, just set rock rubble next to your colony, they will grow into it and continue spreading. Have fun!

jake9015

Will do and will be offering frags to RS members first! I don't know what kind of zoas these are but they sure are awesome haha!

Willie McDaries

Will do and will be offering frags to RS members first! I don't know what kind of zoas these are but they sure are awesome haha!

I have eagle eye zoas spreading all through my tank,they are almost like a weed,except purdy...I'd love to see some pics of yours :D

carlfike

I've been doing a lot of reading on these guys lately because I plan on loading my 650 up with them. apparently they are impossible to kill lol. the spread like a weed and a lot of folks claim they like dirty water! I ordered a couple from myreeftoyours.com and i'm looking forward to getting them into my tank. Grats on your success!

Setragni

Where do you live? I would love a frag. I was not a big fan of zooas but last week i met a zooanthids collector and some of them are so pretty.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well that's a nice problem to have! U can peel em off the rocks pretty easily using a dull knife n glue them to other rocks.

......reefing. not for the faint of heart or spirit.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Super glue gel works like a champ. Just gotta let it set 20 seconds or so in the water.

......reefing. not for the faint of heart or spirit.

catran

I use a sharp scalpel. You can get them on most websites including BRS. I also use superglue gel. The regular superglue is too thin. Make sure you use gloves. If you are curious why it's important, google "palytoxin".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD