Zoanthid Growth Question

vdituri

Different strains grow at different rates from what I've read.
That's why some have crazy prices because they take forever to grow and they have some amazing colors out there.
You will see new buds spreading from the base. Then the buds will bulge up towards the light and a new zoo will open up one day.
The closer to the light the faster they should grow as they feed off the photosynthetic algae living inside their cells.

I've had a green one that I glued onto a rock by himself and he sat there for a couple months then started sprouting several buds a month.

I find the higher up in the tank the smaller the polyp. The lower the larger. When it comes to the number of polyp, I dont really think it matters.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
I want to add something on this too....my Ring Of Fire zoas.....they grew like crazy but the old polyps have longer tentacles and the new growth has shorter ones. Also the new ones have a dull color in the center...also are larger....and they are up high....see pic....

The left side is the Originals, half, and the right side is the new growth....(9/6/07)
l_4921009eaeaa17dfaade206e430886ac.jpg

and this is where they are placed
l_ccab32d0d0537e00f4f25dde7f1f72e5.jpg

vdituri

What kind of lights are you using and what are their spectrums?
I have mine under 175 watt metal halides at 14,000k.

They "colors" on zoanthids is the chlorophyl from the algae living in their tissues so they are part animal AND part plant.
So stronger lighting will get you brighter plant cells which in turn feed the animal and cause it to split and reproduce because more food is available.

A dull colored zoo could be from not enough light.
Small polyps could mean that it is getting more than enough light that it doesn't need to stretch out to increase its surface area to capture more light.

Keep in mind that these are just a few of the factors that can affect these guys.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
well, they are the only ones that have done that...my other colony(small started with 8 polyps) has doubled and has no color differences between the new and the old...Right now they are under 72w PCs 1 act. and 1 10k, in a 29 biocube...like i said, all my other "polyps" are just fine....maybe the R.O.F's are TOO HIGH?

moze229

I think it has a lot to do with water chemistry as well. Stable - stable - stable. Stability in the water quality has been my answer to slow-growing zoas. I've kept them under all different kinds of light, different areas of the tank, and in general I never really could get them to take off. They would survive and look good, but never multiply. After changing my water combinations a bit and keeping things more constant, I can't get them to stop growing.

BTW - also in my experience, they seem to love alkalinity levels higher than natural sea water - like in the 9 dkH range.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I think it has a lot to do with water chemistry as well. Stable - stable - stable. Stability in the water quality has been my answer to slow-growing zoas.

I agree and this applies to all corals. They can take some time to acclimate to your tank BUT when they do their growth rate is astonishing ! I actually isolate mine so they don't spread all over the rockwork.

SilkyJ

since i asked this question i'm happy to see that i've had 3 new polyps on my bam bam zoos which is great!

XBwlr

I don't know the name of them... sorry.

I wouldn't mind fraggin' them at all.
I'll be fraggin' stuff in my tank this weekend... I'll see if I can get a handful or so on a few rocks.

kyle1284

I don't know the name of them... sorry.

I wouldn't mind fraggin' them at all.
I'll be fraggin' stuff in my tank this weekend... I'll see if I can get a handful or so on a few rocks.

those are good lookin... if u can maybe see if u can get some fragged for me too?