ZEOvit

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Opps forgot one thing, it doesnt remove Phosphates it just binds them in bacteria, you still need to export the bacteria to truely remove it.

Mike

mps9506

It's kind of like cooking live rock. In the low nutrient conditions bacteria uses the phosphates and in the zeo system when you pump or disturb the chamber the excess bacteria is removed via aggressive skimming.
A berlin system does a pretty similar thing by removing organically bound phosphate before algae can feed on it.
I think....

gqjeff

Thanks all.. I started the tank with the system so no converting over..Ii agree you MUST go slow with this sytem or any system for nutrient reduction.. Gives your corals time to adapt.. As far as better husbandry that has not been the case for me persoanlly.. I find myself with this sytem missing a few ater changes here and there more so then I did with my other sps tanks in the yrs past... My tank pics..
http://photobucket.com/albums/v467/gqjeff/jeffs reef/

Peace all, Jeff

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Mike cooking LR is basically taking away any external food sources and then allowing the bacteria to feed on what excess food thier is stored in the rock. Basically here it is a close system to dosing vodka, what you are doing is dosing hungry bacteria and then setting them loose on nutrients in the tank, they search out the nutrients and eat/bind them, from their you need to still get them out for the system to actualy export, that is why they call for a really good skimmer (another good point)

Jeff nice tank my friend. The zeovit system inherently makes you do more husbandry, dose everyday (two times I believe) shake the reactor and so on right?? No biggie its a good thing.

Here is a an old rubby sps tank where the corals never get fed, or any additives used and has had one water change in 4+years. Colors arent to bad..at least I think

www.mojoreef.info

MIke

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Jeff, bofore you respond to me again on this issue I would suggest you READ what I have written on it :D

Boomer, who told you that? BActeria is all over your tank, on all the surfaces panes of glass and all.. Its DEF not isolated to the zeoliths

Where did I say that ? I said

One example, they claim ***bacteria fit into the zeolite,*** a key to how it works, according to them. You could not fit a bacteria into those pores if your life depended on it as they claim. It is like trying to stick a watermelon up our butt

You have a very nice tank.

Mojo

Well at least I'm not a closet ...............:lol:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Here is a an old rubby sps tank where the corals never get fed, or any additives used and has had one water change in 4+years. Colors arent to bad..at least I think

Yes that would be an understatement ! Now all you need is a nice SB...:LOL:

gqjeff

Mike, nice system.. Boomer I have nothing to say to you at all about the method.. I have stated many times there are many methods to the madness. You choose a different one then I did.. I hope you are getting the results you are shooting for..

Happy Reefing, Jeff

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Jeff you missed the whole point of the issue. It is a good system, it works well. The issue is the claim to HOW it works and that is only it. I did not invite Alex, one of the most, if not the most respected ZEOvit guy there is, to forums, to explain the operation of the system because I thought it was a useless/ no good system. I really do not have an issue with the results of the system or its performance at all. The bigger issue is most ZEO guys can not seem to debate the system and how it may really work without flying off the handle. That is why many treads have been closed/ locked-out and deleted from some forums And Please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

gussy

I think the Zeovit is too complicated and too expensive. Since I don't have space for the Nitrate filters, I tried the vodka and AZ-NOE on two tanks simultaneously...it didn't do s**t. I'm back to the water change method now as I don't have to think too much, it's cheaper, and safer!

gqjeff

Jerome, not sure contact Thomas Pohl in Germany and see if he will tell you.. Also Gussy water changes are part of any system...

bergzy

i started zeo after years of reefing with 'traditional' methods.

initially, i did not feel a need zeo because my corals were mainly lps' and did fine with traditional methods.

but...

when i went into sps'...though the color was there...it was not explosive like the zeo tanks i have seen. yes, i had color but nothing like zeo tanks.

from traditional berlin to having the biggest and baddest skimmers etc...i never got the sps coloration that i wanted...

i am familiar with 'traditional aspects of reef logic...and have done most of them in the past...no water changes, some water changes, no skimming, part skimming, heavy heavy skimming, dsb, ssb, bb, refugium with rubble and sand, no snad just rubble, just macro...high flow, slow flow, tubulent flow, ...whatever...it just goes on and on..

the only thing i never strayed from was the use of halides...always have used them...always will (until something truly comes out better than it)...

ggjeff's sps coloration is typical of a nice mature zeo tank. this is my first time on this forum, first time post so i have no idea who he is but his sps coloration is not unusual for zeo tanks. note how the color literally explodes. no insult to your sps' mojo...as your sps' have gorgeous coloration as well...but i dont see the explosive color typical with zeo tanks.

i am a big nose thumber to 'the latest and greatest' as most of the time...they are not what they report to be.

but , i have been nursing back a formerly gorgeous bennet monti from stagnation to slowly being spectacular. my other sps' have also been showing much more color since being on zeo for just over a month. i personally have never seen any other 'system' make such a huge dramatic change in such a short time...even if zeo states that it is a slow method...it is a lot faster than other 'traditional' methods.

whether it is voodoo, snake oil or placebo...there are individuals who use it and have seen nothing but amazing results. i am going to go out on a limb that most who 'try' zeovit are already very experienced reefers, as many have pointed out, is very maintenance intensive and parameter sensitive. i akin it to a finally tuned ferrari (having ridden and driven some)...nothing is more exhilerating but requires more maintenance than driving an acura nsx very fast...though fun...doesnt emote the same sensations.

whatever zeo's claims are...if it didnt work...i doubt that very experienced reefers would continue to use it. i never claim to be experienced btw...i love learning something new each day! :)

if zeo's system is proprietory...then zeo should have the right to not disclose what makes it work...the proof that it works would be the visible results in coral coloration and growth. isnt that the criteria that we use to determine coral success?

i read the 'instruction' manual and i did not find the part where the bacteria reside in the pores of the zeoliths. the rocks are for ammonium and ammonia absorption. thus, in everyday theory...no ammonia/ammonium translates into no nitrites and nitrates.

as for the price of the zeo system...i scratch me head more when people buy $3k to $6k skimmers, tell everyone about it and get praised for their expenditure. so, i do not understand the hositility, by some, towards the zeo system about being 'expensive'. no one is forcing you to buy their products and i dont think anyone has to 'defend' their price tage of things like a $129 for a bottle of 'amino acids'. if i bought it, didnt work, i would state my case and reply that i would not buy it again...

anyway, this debate can and would go on forever. here is my final comparison...

i am a big classical music lover and a classically trained solo violinist. my fav composers were mozart, tchaikovsky and saint-saens. i REFUSED to listen to BEETHOVEN for well over ten years in my journey of music and life. finally, one day, i decided to give him a serious listen. my brain just exploded at the genius and beauty of his music. first, i was shocked at the glory of his music. the immediate next feeling? extreme sadness that i missed out on ten years of listening, enjoying and being lost in his music. if i only 'gave him a chance' just a chance and not slam the door on him...i could have learned so much more and matured musically all that greater...

oh yeah, beethoven now occupies my no 2 spot...right under mozart! :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I don't doubt it works I think the results speak for themselves the problem IMHO is a lack of information on how it works, what EXACTLY are you adding ?

Also Mojo has some of the best looking SPS I've seen, maybe he's just not a master of photoshop. There are many members here who have BEAUTIFUL lookin SPS tanks with awesome color just do a search for playabrisa's tank which unfortunately was destroyed by a hurricane also check out Rob'z and SunnyX's tank. We even have a member from Portugal who uses T5's only and doesn't use Zeovit and the color's in his SPS are incredible !!! Check here:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ussion/11197-my-reef-tank-julio-macieira.html

There's more than "one way to skin a cat" so whatever works for you go for it. Just my 2 pennies:)

Last edited:

bergzy

cheeks69 said:
I don't doubt it works I think the results speak for themselves the problem IMHO is a lack of information on how it works, what EXACTLY are you adding ?

yes, it is a mystery on what one is adding but the results speak for themselves...

why is that we NEED to know what we are adding? if zeo spent who knows how long and/or who knows how much to develop the zeosystem...and it works wonderfully...then they have every right to not tell anyone what it is and charge whatever they want.

if it did not work or was doing damage...i would hope that most experienced reefers would stop using it, post their dissatisfaction and tell others to stop using it. things like the 'eco-equalizer, miracle mud' are but a few products that most experienced reefers have discounted on a regular basis.

i have not heard of any zeo users (yet) say that their stuff was total and utter garbage. the most common comments i hear are 'WOW', "that is amazing lookin' corals', 'what is the dosing schedule again?' and 'why is this stuff so expensive'. i have not heard (yet) this stuff, after using it to manafactuer's directions sucked worse than a jerry o'connell movie...and that is very, very bad! :)

no one ever questions the proprietory 'formula' of prozac, coca-cola, kfc, snapple, krispy kreme doughnuts, bush's baked beans and the list list goes on and on and on...and these are things we PUT in our bodies...forget about our reef's. i dont know of anyone who questions how much insecticide was sprayed on their veggies or what hormones were injected into their beef...and if they did, i have never met anyone who questioned the validity of 'organic' labelled items. (there was a big scam several years ago busting people selling regular veggies as 'organic').

please do not make me to be a zeo snob or that zeo is the only way to keep sps because it definitely is not...i am just opinionating that the sps tanks i see on zeo have explosive colors...and i mean explosive!!!

tank of the quarter on the zeo forum.

before:
mainpic2.jpg

after:
mainpic1.jpg

notice that the before pics...the corals were still beautifully colored.
notice the after pics on how much more vibrant and brilliant the corals are with just some elements of zeo.

now all i have to do is wait on my tank to mature a little more! :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Very beautiful tank bergzy :thumbup:
Looking at the pics in the before after, the colors appear to me at least to be identical, but you know your tank better than anyone and if it looks better to you then I'll take your word for it.

no one ever questions the proprietory 'formula' of prozac, coca-cola, kfc, snapple, krispy kreme doughnuts, bush's baked beans and the list list goes on and on and on...and these are things we PUT in our bodies...forget about our reef's. i dont know of anyone who questions how much insecticide was sprayed on their veggies or what hormones were injected into their beef...and if they did, i have never met anyone who questioned the validity of 'organic' labelled items.

I don't have to know the exact details but you do get a list of ingredients with many of these products. We do know that many elements are essential for coral growth and health but we also know that elevated levels can be very harmful or toxic and it will take time to manifest itself, so I try to be very cautious of what I add to the tank.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Did you just change the pic ? They did look identical, I swear:D :D
Looks great !!!
How long between pics ?

bergzy

rob,

I WISH that were my tank!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

the tank is zeovit.com's tank of the quarter...Broli Jacopo of Brescia, Italy!

absolutely stunning, isnt it!

as for the identical pic's...hehehe, i pasted the same before pic in the after spot by mistake! just to play with you all!!! :D