ZEOvit

mps9506

It's simply a method aiming at low nutrient conditions. Personally I feel there are a number of ways of doing this without spending the money, however no doubt that the tanks I have seen it employed on are stunning.
Personally I'm not a big fan of dosing the other supplements in the dose and see method :) But it does appear to work so who am I to say it's wrong.
No doubt it is an effective way of reducing phosphates, making sure nitrates and organics are removed from your system. That being said, many SPS tanks accomplish this without the zeo system. You can learn a lot by learning about how the zeo system works without actually employing the system in your tank, but using the same principles on your tank.

gqjeff

Also in regards to the artical in wetwebmedia many things have changed as far as dosing. There is a new quide out and I would sauggest lookign into that.
http://www.captiveoceans.com/ZEOvit Guide1.pdf. I do nto work or sell zeo but have been using it a little over a yr and its the best sytem I have employed in 15 yrs of reefing.

Peace, Jeff

Jerome

The system requires heavy protien skimming. high current, and good lighting. Seems that alone should be enough to have great results...

gqjeff

Yes I agree, good equipment and good husbandry will def get you in the right direction... For me I have never achieved what I am now with the zeovit method employed..

Thanks, Jeff

DaveK

If the ZEOvit system works for you, I say great, then continue to use it.

Personally, I'm extremely skeptical about any system that uses a bunch of additives and their own filter media. I counted 11 additives on their guide. Are all the salts made so bad that we need 11 additives to keep everything going?

gqjeff

Dave, I agree there are many methods to this madness.. Thats whats great about this hobby.. Nothing can compete with good husbandry.. Gives many people the opportunity to enjoy this hobby.

Happy Reefing, Jeff

mps9506

DaveK said:
If the ZEOvit system works for you, I say great, then continue to use it.

Personally, I'm extremely skeptical about any system that uses a bunch of additives and their own filter media. I counted 11 additives on their guide. Are all the salts made so bad that we need 11 additives to keep everything going?

You don't need to use all 11 additives. Some of them are targeted for certain corals.
I'm persoanlly not totally sold on on the amino acid aspect as everything I have learned is that acros are not able to "consume" or take up amino acids from thier environement but produce their own, although it is possible they use exsisting fragments.

gqjeff

MPS, I tell you what though.. Buy the zeo AA and you will be surprised what they do in a very low nutrient environment.. I would also HIGHLY recommend the coral vitilizer.. In 2 weeks you will be amazed.. Seriously others not on the zeo system have been using both with outstanding results.

gqjeff

The 250 ml bottle will last most of you guys a yr or more unless you have HUGE setups with 300-400 plus gallons... We are talking 1 drop per 25-50 gallons of water a day here.. I am not here to promote a product or anything.. If you want to try it try it, if not that doesn't matter to me either.. I was just stating my results speak for themselves with my corals growth and health and overall colors.. There are many methods that can and will work, this is just the one I choose for me new setup and I am extremly happy with the results...

Happy reefing, Jeff

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
There have been many looooong threads on this system. I have even brought whom I consider the leading expert on it to a couple of forums. I would suggest going to Reeffrontier or ReefCentral to get all you would want to know on it. Just type in Zeovit, you will fall out of your chair with all the threads. I have posted on many of them. The system works well, but it does not function or operate as claimed in literature, such as theirs. We are only really guessing how it really works :) There is also a French system, where they give you alllllllllllll the components of the system unlike ZEOvit, who claims "secret ".

I will not make any comments on this system as it has worn most of us out. And many ZEOvit guys are almost has if they all belong to a cult and how dare you challenge their system. I can put one in contact with the USA distributor if one wishes.

gqjeff

The system works well, but it does not function or operate as claimed in literature.

As a user please explain this statement for me? It does exactly in my tank as described..

Jeff

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Go to the other forums and read about it. I'm tired of such threads. How do you know it does what it says, based on what ? You have a scanning electron-microscope at home and a full chem lab :) Yes, the system works well. It is an issue of chemistry and microbiology, on how it works and what they claim on how it works One example, they claim bacteria fit into the zeolite, a key to how it works, according to them. You could not fit a bacteria into those pores if your life depended on it as they claim. It is like trying to stick a watermelon up our butt :). The pores are waaaay to small for any bacteria to fit into to. More than likely it is just a surface population of bacter's. There are other issues, such as the ammonia issue and its diffusion.

gqjeff

Boomer, who told you that? BActeria is all over your tank, on all the surfaces panes of glass and all.. Its DEF not isolated to the zeoliths... It does what it says it does removes PO4....

mojoreef

Just a reefer
LOL Boomer is a closet zeohead, hehehe

gqjeff we did an extensive thread on another board with several of the main zeoguys, it was a good thread and everyone learned something from it. If one were to draw a conclusion from all the discussion one could say that folks that used the system created a low nutrient system and used bacteria supplimenting to carry certain elements to corals (possibly) and also to help in nutrient reduction. The result was a nice reef tank. The point Boomer is talking about was the fact they said the bacteria colonized the zoelite stones (like they would in sand or LR) as Boomer just mentioned that is an inpossiblility as the stone does not have the poroucity (sp?) and that because of that the bacteria just populate the surface of the stone and then are shed when one shakes the canister and stones.
On a personal note for me anyway I would say the system makes the user have to be alot more aware of what is going on in their system (better husbandry) and for that it is not such a bad thing. On another note you are really riding the line with the coral metabolism (eliminating 2 of the 3 major feeding stratagies) so go very very slow when converting over to the system. Also note that thier are other ways to achiee the same sucess with out doing this system.

hope it helps

Mike