Zebrasoma gemmatum?

ReefingFun

My gf loves this tang and our LFS just mailed me that he got one in.
Now I don't know much about this type of tang, but I do know that I'm gonna need to prostitute myself to pay for it :O
His price is 1000 euro ( ~1300 dollar).

Just wondering now if they are that rare that the price is so high? :eek:h:
Really think I'm going to wait with buying an expensive fish like this, but would love your thoughts on this one.

Thanks!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've seen them listed for much more in the U.S. beautiful fish

Sent from John's Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Very nice fish and people had expected the price to come down but it hasn't. I would cry though if it died!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Better known as a gem tang.

Mauritius-Gem-Tang-Zebrasoma-gemmatum_zps43686832.jpg

ReefApprentice

Wow those are rare fish. The price just seems right. I want one soo bad but im going to wait till they are captive breed.

ReefingFun

Wow those are rare fish. The price just seems right. I want one soo bad but im going to wait till they are captive breed.

Think you might be waiting a very long time then tbh :s I just read that they are already waiting since the 90's for that to happen. They predicted the price to go down, but it never did and they are still really rare. Only juvinels are captured as they are at a certain spot every year. My country had 6 imports of them only in 1 year.
It's really a lot of money if you ask me. Would love to buy it if I had the guarantee that it wouldn't die within the first years.

DaveK

Well, it is a very expensive fish, and it's certainly one of those fish that will make you the envy of most of the reef keepers that know what the fish is.

However, most of the people looking at your tank are not going to have the slightest idea that the fish is rare or expensive. It's like hanging a piece of modern art. People that don't understand the work will make comments like "THAT amount of money for something that looks like what my kids turn out in nursery school?"

In my opinion, you are generally better off getting tangs that are much less expensive, but still eye catching. You could have 4 or 5 other tangs for that price. That will generally be a lot more impressive than one single rare fish.

Of course, if you already have your 4000 gal tank well stocked with a bunch of other tangs, and this is one you don't have, the price may be a bargain. (grin)

ReefingFun

True, but I for one really don't do it for people to say "oh wow you have X fish, so rare!". Ofc that's a bonus, won't deny that. Just that I take fish that I'm personally happy with. It's my house, couldn't care less if people say ' damn you spend money on that fish". As long as I'm happy with it idc :cool:

My own lil piece of nature <3