zebra moray eel

twoclowns

I was inspired after reading witfull's experience with a zebra moray that I did a ton of research on them and decided to purchase one. I had a small local pet store order one for my they only wanted $25 for him they paid 12.50, I ended up trading a few small frags for him. He came in the next day at about 8-10 inches long and about as thick as my pinky finger. They are truely amazing looking, instantly my favorite anaimal in my tank. I have been feeding him live ghost feeder shrimp, which he takes down. I have seen that fostersandsmith sells saltwater feeder shrimp (white shrimp) has anyone ordered any of these? Do they ship well? And does anyone know of any other place that sells saltwater feeder shrimp? I am getting a dozen to 18 peppermint shrimp to put in there with him, for the time being. But I really don't want to use that much store credit on shrimp to feed him if there are better options out there. And the freshwater shrimp are just that freshwater, they live for atleast a day in there but not sure how long and if they are a great food source. I am going to start to wean him onto dead shrimp, clams, and crabs but he doesn't come out much and not while the light is on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you Keith

jg2269jg

do you keep a reef tank or a fish only tank and if a reef tank do the eels eat anything that can be problematic in a reef tank. I like the eels and i have been seeing more people keeping them in their reef tanks. Do they eat your shrimp like cleaner shrimp sorry to take over the post but i am so intregedat the eels
Lets see some pics

DaBird

nice eel...way to start out with a bang, I can see it now..."The Zebra Stripe Club"...lol

twoclowns

I'll try to get a pic but so far he only comes out at night and is very timid, I don't have any shrimp in that tank but it is a reef tank and I have a few fish in there with him. A few are 2.5" or less and no problems so far.

Cartman89

VERY NICE FIND!!!! That small for only a few bucks!!!! Lucky you. They will get big but they are slow growers.

twoclowns

he actually came out today, went to take a picture and the memoey stick was full, by the time I deleted some pictures he was hiding again. But atleast he is starting to come out. :)

sam wise

i hand feed mine on defrosted cockles, or on frozen krill. On rare occasions I feed chopped tiger prawn. Only three or four pieces every other day. If he is in an aggressive mood, I opt to save my fingers and use a long cocktail stick.

twoclowns

I traded 4 small frags for 13 peppermint shrimp and put them in that night, the next morning I check and I can't find ANY peppermint shrimp. I think he ate them all what a pig.:apint: down the hatch. Dropped 30 plus ghost shrimp in tonight, bet i don't see any in the am.

shawn

hey guys can anybody help me with this?? Have you ever kept a zebra moray in a reef tank with clams successfully??

mps9506

Be sure not to overfeed Because they will overeat :)
Given time they will move over to prepared foods. Like everyone else has mentioned, krill, prawn, squid strips etc. They seem to recognize whatever you stick in there to feed them with after they realize food comes off the stick/tongs or whatever you use.
Be sure to Thaw out the frozen food before you feed it to them also :)