Zack Attacks Reefing Challenges

Zack

Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember me as "the troublemaker" from a long time ago. I just wanted to say sorry, and show you my new tank.

It is a 29g AGA that I bought at Petco, along with the stand. The light fixture is a 20" Coralife 96 watt Powerquad (I bought it with the intentions of starting out with a 10g). There are also a 75 watt heater and two MaxiJet 600s. Here are also some pics. The first one is a couple days ago when beginning to fill the tank with ro/di water.
img15491ht.jpg

This one is the next day after I had just poured 30 pounds of Carib Sea Aragonite.
img15585wj.jpg

And this one is this afternoon. The water has cleared up alot more since then.
img15680hg.jpg

Newt

Welcome Zack! Good to see another Rochester reefer, there's a bunch more of us on TRT but you're the first I've seen here. I hope you're not planning on buying livestock at Petco (cough cough...Fish and Pets is better.) Small selection but good quality.

Everything sounds great so far.

Are you going to be running a sump or skimmer at all? If you are planning on keeping corals I would recommend running at least a skimmer, and with those lights you will sort of be limited on the types of corals.

Zack

I plan on adding a skimmer later on, and upgrade the lights perhaps too. Hehe I didn't plan on buying anything from Petco...or FnP either really ( really really overpriced)! There is a guy in town who runs his own little business. I have yet to visit his house. He sells frags starting at $3.00. Have you heard of him? His business is called "Tank-You Aquatics" and his name is Frank.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
That 96 watt is all you'll ever need on that tank best buy you can get hello zack nice to meet you

the $3 frag he can't be that bad look at what he has and judge for yourself

I give alot of frags away just cause it make alot of people happy to get something new including myself so go meet him and try him out cheap don't always mean not worth it

Newt

Zack said:
Hehe I didn't plan on buying anything from Petco...or FnP either really ( really really overpriced)! .

I work at F&P that's why I asked...lol. Unfortuneatly I'm not in charge of pricing, but to tell you the truth, since we don't have the large variety I end up ordering a lot online.

Just for your knowledge there is also a guy in Redwing named Dirk that I hear has awesome corals to choose from, and if you aren't happy with a certain piece or it is too big he'll break it off for you, he also price matches pretty well. He works out of his office of his other job at an insurance agency, and his really nice tank is in what people like to call "the dungeon" (basement) Might want to check him out sometime, all I've heard are rave reviews from many TCMAS members, search for Dirk Griffin on The Reef Tank

Witfull

bout time Zack,,,glad you came home prodigal son..... :)

im going to move this to the Reef Chronicles forum so everypne can watch it progress.

Zack

JKreef said:
I work at F&P that's why I asked...lol. Unfortuneatly I'm not in charge of pricing, but to tell you the truth, since we don't have the large variety I end up ordering a lot online.

Just for your knowledge there is also a guy in Redwing named Dirk that I hear has awesome corals to choose from, and if you aren't happy with a certain piece or it is too big he'll break it off for you, he also price matches pretty well. He works out of his office of his other job at an insurance agency, and his really nice tank is in what people like to call "the dungeon" (basement) Might want to check him out sometime, all I've heard are rave reviews from many TCMAS members, search for Dirk Griffin on The Reef Tank

LOL...my bad. Why did you guys empty that huge tank and fill it with freshwater fish? The yellow tangs were sweet.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
:welcomera back Zack! Tank is looking good! Keep us posted! Try not to talk and sleep at the same time! :lol:

Yo Ho!

Newt

Zack said:
LOL...my bad. Why did you guys empty that huge tank and fill it with freshwater fish? The yellow tangs were sweet.

I was told that they changed it to a freshwater cichlid tank just because they wanted something new setup, which is a shame. But it was torn down well before I started working there, so I'm not sure on the exact reason, but I had seen it set up as a SW before, and you're right the YTs were awesome.

Zack

Saltified Tank

Well, today the tank is crystal clear. I saltified the tank about a half hour ago and the specific gravity is at 1.022. The temp was 79.5 without the lights on, or heater, so I don't think I'll be needing the heater until it starts to get cold outside. With the lights on, the temp should be just right :D.

Here is another pic!

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 64

Zack

Woo! New Live Rock!

I went to the home of a local aquarium dealer (highly recommended!) and he gave me 30 pounds for $100! Talk about a good deal! I think there are several pieces of Fiji and Marshall in there. There are a couple larvae/pupa and several what look like eggs in there that I really hope will survive!

Attachments

• IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG