your input on what to add to my 90g

Dumpster Dave

Hey everyone,

My saltwater tank has been set up for about 9 months now. Everything is thriving and growing and doing great. :whstlr:

We have bubble coral, zoanthids, two hard corals, devil's claw, mushrooms, toadstools... and a couple of anenomes.

A tassel filefish, foxface, yellow tang, 4 chromis, two skunk clowns, lawnmower blenny, a sandsifting goby, watchman goby and his pal the pistol shrimp, coco worm and spiny lobster.

We have the usual assortment of snails and crabs as well as 3 abalones. Our shrimp died during a heat wave this summer and we haven't replaced them yet.

We'd like to add one more fish to the mix. We thought about a dwarf lionfish or a valentini pufferfish - but the vp and filefish don't mix and we aren't sure whether a dwarf lion would be a good addition or if the tank could support it.

Every week to two weeks (most often every week) we do a 10 gallon water change and all our water parameters are great.

We have metal halides, blue actinics and moonlights.

Now for your part... suggestions please :invisible

90g.jpg

Charlie97L

hmm... that's a lot of fish! :) tank looks great.

as far as coral go, with that many leathers and softies, you may have problems with sps and the chemical warfare that can ensue between the two.

for fish... you could toss a wrasse in there, they're always great additions. make sure you get a reef safe one! :) plus they're pretty compatible with everything, and darn tough. i'd still introuduce him with the lights off, so he can stake his claim at night.

how is the lobster, btw? any pics of it? how well behaved is it? those are so cool.

I agree with Charlie. Your bio load is maxed. The general rule of thumb is one inch of fish for every five gallons of water. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. I almost had the fish police coming after me:wit: :invisible

prow

yeah your at your max on fish. to heavy IMO. for corals try a open brain. throw a green one and a red one in. they are brightly colored and very adaptable to water chemistry and ligthing. even water flow to some extent.

Dumpster Dave

thanks everyone... that's why i posted it... cause i would like to get a fish that says "HELLO" :swmfish: when you look at the tank but i won't. :cry1:

everything is healthy :smirk: and doing great right now and i don't wanna screw that up by overcrowding. :crowd:

as for adding more corals etc... i'm not going to cause i want to let everything grow and spread and then in 6 months to a year... we'll look at seeing where there's space and adding more.

i sure appreciate all your expertise!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I agree with everyone you have a very heavy bio-load as is, I wouldn't add anything else. Which skimmer are you using ? You don't appear to have a DSB, how many lbs. of LR ?

The Foxface is magnificent, just a gorgeous fish !!!

BTW the tank looks great :thumbup:

Dumpster Dave

we aren't using a skimmer. we dont have room for a sump and we couldn't seem to get skimmers to work properly so we tried going without and doing regular watch changes and kept watching our chemistry and everything is doing great.

what is DSB and BRW?

i'm not sure exactly how much live rock we have... somewhere around 130+ lbs.

Dumpster Dave

our sand bed was deeper but we've lowered it a bit as the sandsifting goby goes to TOWN with the deeper sand bed and so much was getting buried.

and yup... i would have known what BTW was LOL