You think you have aiptasia? Look here.

lcstorc

Actually it has been going on for a long time. It started in the overflow and I finally got serious and removed all of the water from the overflow for a couple of hours and it killed them. Meanwhile some had gotten into the fuge and the display. The peppermints seem to love the fuge and have gotten all of it there. In the DT I have hit a bunch of them with various remedies but there are some that I just cannot reach because of the way my center brace is. I've kind of ignored them since I know I can't get them all and they will just come back. Now I am getting serious and want them gone.
I'm going to get serious with the Aiptasia X this weekend since I have heard great things about it and get 5 or 6 more peppermints on Monday to hopefully get the babies and the ones I can't reach. Unfortunately the largest are the ones I can't reach so I am not sure how I will handle that.
It's just one of the prices I pay for my habit of overfeeding. I have to deal with aiptasia and caulerpa.

wonderloss

I am currently cracking down on my own aiptasia problem. For a long time, I had a peppermint shrimp in the tank. I had one large aiptasia, but no others ever showed up. I guess the shrimp kept them under control, but it could not eat the large one.

Then I got Buddy, my leaffish. I think he ate the peppermint shrimp. Since then, they got out of control. Now I am going after them with kalk paste. I had tried Joe's Juice before, but it is just salt water with kalk in it, so I decided to make my own. I still use the Joe's Juice container to store it, and the syringe to apply it. I go after all I can with 2 mL every other day. I do not want to do too many at one time and screw up things in the tank.

I doubt I will be able to find them all, so it will probably be a continuous battle until I deal with the root causes.

lcstorc

You are abolutely right about not using too much Joe's at one time. I tried to use it to zap the infestation in the overflow and when we turned everything back on I watched the PH climb rapidly on my monitor in the fuge. Fortunately dilution kicked in and it was fine, but it sure did scare me for a few minutes.

Chocstarfish

Has anyone actually ever seen a peppermint shrimp attack aiptasia mine only seem to want to eat aquarium fish food. They graze on the rock but leave the aiptasia alone, its very frustrating.

lcstorc

Yes, I have seen it. They seem to only go after the small to medium ones. I am going to have to zap the big ones on my own.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Has anyone actually ever seen a peppermint shrimp attack aiptasia mine only seem to want to eat aquarium fish food. They graze on the rock but leave the aiptasia alone, its very frustrating.

Peppermints are nocturnal feeders generally, so actually catching them in the act is not going to be an easy task.

dfurbee

My 6 line ate all my peppermints, now my aiptasia are out of control!! Have a mean tang, so copperband is out of the question. Aiptasia X, just how is that used? Do I have to get everyone individually? I need to get rid of them, but I do not want to hurt the inhabitants of the tank. Thanks

lcstorc

Yep,
One by one.
To me it seems a bit easier that Joe's. The aiptasia seem to grab it instead of pulling all the way back.
Of course I say that and I still have them in my tank. It does kill them but I have not been able to get ahead of them so far.

glampka

Similar to Joe's Juice. Inject at the mouth. You'll have to do each & every one of them. You might want to ask your lfs for larger peppermints. That's what I did & now they're safe from getting eaten. Have heard of guys using Berghia Nudibranchs to rid their tanks of aiptasia.

There's a restuarant here that has a salt water tank with literally hundreds of them - talk about a forest.

dfurbee

Thanks to both of you. Gary, I ordered berghias, and either they all dies or something ate them. Maybe I will get some large peppermints.

johnvic

I get one every week or so. I see it, get out the aiptasia-x and it is gone. But then another one appears in a different spot. My first couple were clear white but the last 3 have been like the ones in the pics, clearish brown. And they seem to grow quick.

Do they need light or can they grow behind rock where I don't see them?

I read on another forum somewhere that if you take boiling hot water, in to a syringe and then spray them with it. They basically burn instantly on contact and it kills them. I am not sure about the babies though.....

It worked on my tank...:thumbup:

acemow

I have tried lemon juice, mixed with white wine vinegar and SW, boiling water, boiling lemon juice. Nothing works! I saw my peppermints eating aiptasia in LFS but they don't eat my aiptasia!
I ordered berghias, and either they all dies or something ate them
I was going to try berghias, but I think I'll go with Aiptasia X this week. Stupid aiptasia.....
I do find them hidden in behind rock, they are sneaky

Last edited:

Jess

Yeah, I thought I had mine under control by using Aiptasia X, but that was only temporary. I have little ones popping up everywhere, and have a couple in the back of the tank, where I can't reach, that are getting HUGE. If they weren't a pest I'd even say they were pretty! They're the clearish-white ones. Anyways, this is in my 24g nano, so I have limited space. I tried a peppermint shrimp. He's nowhere to be found after a couple weeks. And the pests still live on. UGH! I'm tempted to just get rid of the frickin rock that has the most on it. It's getting to the point where everytime I feed my tank I cringe because I know who's REALLY reaping the benefit. :rocket:

glampka

If there's nothing else on the rock, take it out & use a propane torch on them. I had a couple recently & just burned them off the rock.

Jess

Wow, a torch eh? Won't that kill the good stuff that's on the rock too though? (bacteria, bugs, etc.)

glampka

Remember that the rock is wet & you're only going after the aiptasia. Use a small flame. You're not drying the entire rock - just a small spot. I had a small toadstool leather near the spot I was heating. Part of it got "burned" from the heat but within a few days was looking better than ever.