You know you live in the country when..

lcstorc

You bring your kids to a birthday party which is a pig roast and bonfire and this is one of the vehicles out front.
truck_deer_compresed.jpg

Hmm I wonder what happened to the truck?

lcstorc

My neighbor has a donkey too.
I have another neighbor with a flock of peafoul (peacocks and peahens) and one down the street wih several cows. The neighbor in back was raising pigs but they moved.
I love being in the middle of nowhere but the truck was just too funny and I had to share.

Jeremy0322

On my way to school every day I have to dodge horse crap on the road because of all the amish. The people have a deer farm on the road my school sits on, there are a few dairy farms with 100's of cows, and during the spring it smells like manure for miles cause of all the fertilizers for the farmland. Its also a place that has confederate flags on the back of half the trucks, which represents like 80% of the people.

sambrinar

Some day I will take picts of the stuff around here. I am in the middle of nowhere AZ and yeah, we have tons of stuff like that... Amazing!

My favorite is a car that is around town being literally held together by duct tape.

chipmunkofdoom2

I love the quiet the country life brings, but I'm tried of driving so much to get to civilization. I really would like to move to a suburban area when I graduate and get a real job.

ReefLady

Staff member
My neighbor has a donkey too.
I have another neighbor with a flock of peafoul (peacocks and peahens) and one down the street wih several cows. The neighbor in back was raising pigs but they moved.

We live 2 houses up from a farm, and they have peacocks. When we first moved here, my poor husband was taking out the garbage on a very early, dark, morning, and spent an hour trying to find the poor person calling for "help". If you've ever heard a peacock mating call, you'll get a laugh out of that one.
We live pretty close to a stretch of road where you have to dodge the turtles - yes there are "turtle crossing" signs - at certain times of year. Our dogs chased a moose across our back yard last fall.
The good thing is, we are not far from civilization. If we really want to visit a "city" (which doesn't happen often), we are just over an hour from Boston.

lcstorc

LOL That is the funny thing about here. I am really close to 2 major highways and less than 20 minutes from civilization.
I hear you Teri. I have tall windows in my living room and the first time I saw them they were walking past the window. I am sitting on my couch and one by one 14 of them walk by. Of course I had to grab the camera like the city girl I am.
Oh and Brenda, my father in law did that with 2 different cars. When they started rusting he would just but the duct tape over the hole and by the time it was done there were so many layers nobody knew where the actual car was.

jgking21

When your neighbor comes over to indrotuce himself half buzzed at 10 on friday night. He sounds like Boomhauer from King of the Hill and he has to tell me about his 2 story deck in his back yard to watch nascar! He's got 600 watts, man! I enjoy nascar, but I don't want to listen to it from across the street while I'm doing yard work. I got to listen to qualifing on Friday! I'll try to get a photo some time, I was invited over.
Another neighbor seems to still have a Christmas Tree up, no decorations that I can see.
I love living in the country, the neighbors are usually one of a kind.

BobBursek

First time here on Off Topic! Heck, halve buzzed at 10pm, he is an amateur!!!!!!!!! Friday night by 630 after 4 Martinis I am buzzed!!!!! And asleep in the recliner by 8!!!!!!!! Forget to turn the return pump back on after feeding till the next morning, never with bad results, my chickens, MR Rooster always wakes me up and the neighbors by sunrise if they have the bedroom windows open.

jgking21

Well half buzzed was being kind! He almost tripped leaving the house. He was just outside reving up his motorcycle, he's selling it cause of his 3rd DUI.
Don't get me started on the roosters, someone has like 15 of them and like 30 chickens.
Also, can you tell the time by the trains? Living in the city you forget how much is moved by trains.

BobBursek

Trains!!!! Do not get me started on TRAINS!!!!!!!! I had a SO that lived 1/2 mile from the 2 major tracks coming into Milwaukee from the west. Even though the crossing had drop guards, they blew there whistles at night, just a night with no sleep, bad sleeper anyway unless having the Martinis. Give me an airport with big jets coming in and sleep like a baby, ex F14 pilot on a carrier!!! Listen to that catapult blasting off all day and night, now that is noise!!!!!!!!!! Had an earlier SO that grew up in a farm town in Iowa, she loves the train whistles. The rooster, an Old English Rock, the big classic, stands almost knee high when he is standing erect. Can not bear to get rid of him. I leave next Tuesday with our parents to my brothers ranch in CA, 2hrs south of Stockton, neighbor has Peacocks, I take the rooster over them!!!!!!!! Then the other neighbor has a donkey, brother has horses, 5 dogs last count, 7 cats last count. No rug rats though, thank God!! And the fish in the pond, and the Egrets that eat them!!!!!!!! A real menagerie!!!! I go out there to fix and repair all, he and his wife are in health care, swine flu maybe a problem, ya, just like in 1978 no own got it, you die from pneumonia as a after fact, that what was killed them all in 1928, no antibiotics for pneumonia then. By the way, off day 311pm here, second Martini here, your neighbor is an amateur, no DUI's here, stay home and it is Wisconsin, "drink and drive free" the last liberal alcohol state! Not right, but that is the culture in this state, 1 of the last to go to .08, only by Fed pressure to loose Fed road funding unless they changed it.

BobBursek

Well just got back from my brothers ranch in CA, Farm noise!!! Night birds sing all night, coyotes howling, neighbors donkey, neighbors peacocks all night, they sound like "please help me' when they do there thing. I sleep out in the PU camper with the windows open, weather was perfect mid 80's and severe clear and breezy during the day, and mid 50's at night, just right for sleeping. Strawberries in season, just supper sweet and juicy at the farm markets, asparagus .99 a pound, and cherries in season too, pigged out on all!!! I may move out there, moving the tank would be the problem, and a job in that state!!!!!!!! $148 billion deficit state budget, and all state programs and workers getting cut, and Arnold may try to legalize grass to grow as a money crop and tax the sale of it for income to the state.

sambrinar

Well just got back from my brothers ranch in CA, Farm noise!!! Night birds sing all night, coyotes howling, neighbors donkey, neighbors peacocks all night, they sound like "please help me' when they do there thing. .

Welcome to my world.. but we have chickens not donkeys,oh and roosters.. those are soo nice.. they don't have any idea when the sun is coming up.. cock-a-doodle-dooooooooo allll night... yeeee haaawww