You have sponges ; what do you feed them and are they still alive?

Basile

I have 2 Ptilocaulis sp. ; a red tree and an orange tree the Axinella bookhouti is a fan sponge that eats bacteria

Photo526.jpg

Photo527.jpg

Photo528.jpg

Photo529.jpg

Photo530.jpg

Put in their right place medium light with strong flow, 2 tunze 6095 on each end and a wavebox at full capacity.

Photo531.jpg

Photo532-1.jpg

So, what do feed these guys, i red that most phytoplankton is too big for sponges and thats why they starve and die , bacteria where do you get it. I have a few filter feeders food but looking for the best advice and food for them, thanks for your time.

Oxylebius

Look into Two Little Fishies Marine Snow Plankton Diet. I don't know if the stuff in it is smaller then the phytoplankton that you are getting, but it is worth a try. The formula includes suspended microscopic particles ranging in size from under 20 microns up to 150 microns. Ideal food for soft and stony corals, anemones, hydrozoans, feather duster worms, clams, crinoids (feather stars), sponges, tunicates (sea squirts), foraminiferans, and other filter feeders. I have hitchhiker sponges that have survived over 5 yrs and still living, they are the little orange/yellow ball sponges. I don't spot feed them, but I do blow the detritus off the rocks twice a week and spot feed my sps corals a mixture of marine snow and rotifers once a week (for the past several years). So, it is feasible that my hitchhiker sponges have survived on detritus and marine snow.